• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question Steering Stabilizer Bracket mounting 66 Bronco

Tonyduc

I have a steering stabilizer bracket from WH that I’m trying to mount. The instructions say that on the cross member there’s normally two holes located close to the passenger side. The only hole in the cross member near there on my 66 is on the part that spanks up, no holes on the horizontal section of the cross member (except for the middle).

Thought it’s best to ask before I drill two holes. From the WH picture, it looks like there needs to be 2 holes drilled on the horizontal section just before the cross member slants upwards?
Thanks
Tony

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Not sure if this is what you’re looking for but this is the stock location on my ‘73

Attachments

• 3B11388F-A5D3-404C-9BEE-9F1FC064F02F.jpg
    3B11388F-A5D3-404C-9BEE-9F1FC064F02F.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 42

mrdrnac

Contributor
This probably won't help your question. But my 66 has the bracket for the stabilizer welded onto the cross member, but I don't know if that was stock or not. Mine was an Oct. of 65 build.

Attachments

• 20210717_112851.jpg
    20210717_112851.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
T

Tonyduc

If the bracket is on the passenger side it kinda looks like the diagram WH has in its instructions.
The PO had a bracket welded to the frame driver side under the traction bar, so the steering stabilizer went in the other direction - attached to passenger side of the drag link. The hydraulic unit was very small, so I ordered a stabilizer (regular size for a Bronco) and tried mounting in same position, but it got all bound up with the steering linkage. So this is why I’m trying mounting the bracket as seen elsewhere.
Thanks

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Heres a pic of mine. We modified it so it was a lil bit more level.;)

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 27

Spaggyroe

@Tonyduc, there were a lot of minor differences on the 66's. The steering stabilizer mounting holes may have been one of them. I don't know for sure.

Here are early bronco frame dimensions / drawings. Dimensions for the two holes in question aren't shown, but the holes are shown on this drawing (third image down).

Attachments

• ebframexdims.jpg
    ebframexdims.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 19

papy

Contributor
This probably won't help your question. But my 66 has the bracket for the stabilizer welded onto the cross member, but I don't know if that was stock or not. Mine was an Oct. of 65 build.

this should be stock as my 67 is the same

OP
OP
T

Tonyduc

Thanks Spaggy, it looks like the approximate location on the WH instructions. The exact placement I’m determining is where the stabilizer expands and returns so the wheels can be fully turned left or right.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Best to do with the wheels fully turned then. The drawings should indicate the proper location, but it never hurts to verify and take care before drilling!
Turn the wheels all the way to the right, compress the stabilizer shock all the way and then let it out some, then temporarily attach your frame mount (or at least mark it's location) and then turn the wheels all the way to the left and extend the shock all the way.
If the fully extended shock is more than long enough, and you have to compress it slightly to align it with the mounts, then you're good to go.

As you surmised, the actual location down to the fraction of an inch is not as important as the fact that it won't bind at either limit of steering.
If you have a stock, or stock type linkage that has the locating tab near the top of the draglink, then that end's location is set in stone and everything else can be extrapolated from there. If no locating tab, you have more leeway. But only so much...

Paul