• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Questions about a 2.5” lift for the front and 3.5” lift for the rear

norm02

So I’m thinking about moving forward with a suspension lift earlier than I had anticipated due to my newly acquired Bronco Lean. My springs are the originals and I’m sure they’re sagging so I’m thinking it makes sense to just get the lift now and install it since it looks like I will have to have to take my front end apart anyway to fix the Bronco Lean. Check out the post I made regarding Bronco Lean if you’re wondering what started my new issue..

My future plans include new front and rear bumpers and they will probably Protofab Rock Solids and the rear will have the spare tire carrier, gas can, and cooler rack. That will easily add ~250lbs to the rear of the Bronco by the time the spare tire is mounted. I’d rather my Bronco sit slightly higher in the back or at least level than I would higher in the front and I’m thinking that due to the extra weight in the rear, it would make sense to buy 3.5” lift rear springs and a 2.5” front lift kit.

My first question is, should I get one inch taller rear springs or will my Bronco still sit higher in the back (with the added weight) if I just install a 2.5” kit? The kits I’m considering are the 2.5” Superflex from JBG or the Premium 2.5” kit from Wild Horses.

My second question is do I need to get a longer rear driveshaft if I end up going with 3.5” rear springs? More than likely the bumpers will happen after the lift is installed so I would drive it some before it has the extra weight added to the rear of the truck. Not sure if 3.5” rear springs will cause any drive line issues until the rear bumper is installed and the rear end squats back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
You can take a look at my Garage, I have 2.5 on the front and 3.5 in the rear with a shim to compensate vibration. Coils and springs are from WH, I ended up removing the shortest leave on the pack. I already had a different size shafts due to my 4r70w tranny. I ended up needing longer brake hose on the rear.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Most on here that have put that lift on complain that the rear sits really high compared to the front in the 2.5f and 2.5r configuration. That WH 2.5 lift is awesome and rides much better than stock and they do settle I just dont know how much. so you can get that one and try it or do like you want to and remove, i think, the third leaf from the bottom to let it sit about level and if it sags more later you can out that leaf back in. lots of ways you can compensate with these ol'horses

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

Most on here that have put that lift on complain that the rear sits really high compared to the front in the 2.5f and 2.5r configuration. That WH 2.5 lift is awesome and rides much better than stock and they do settle I just dont know how much. so you can get that one and try it or do like you want to and remove, i think, the third leaf from the bottom to let it sit about level and if it sags more later you can out that leaf back in. lots of ways you can compensate with these ol'horses

I definitely want it to sit a little high even after the extra 200lbs gets added onto the back of it. I’m just not sure if the springs will settle enough for it to be level with 2.5” all the way around or if it would be better to go an inch higher in the back. Below is the look I’m going for:

16d8d254d7f440767181a86f6e420ad0.jpg

f52dd2112da95b520b785bbd72a736b4.jpg

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
IMO I wouldn't do what you are planning. I have a JD 3.5 all around with Protofab Rock Solid Winch bumper and rear rock solid with the tire carrier, gas can, and chest carrier. It sits pretty level maybe just barely has a lean. I've had the suspension and bumpers for about 5/6 years now so it's safe to say my leafs have settled.

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

IMO I wouldn't do what you are planning. I have a JD 3.5 all around with Protofab Rock Solid Winch bumper and rear rock solid with the tire carrier, gas can, and chest carrier. It sits pretty level maybe just barely has a lean. I've had the suspension and bumpers for about 5/6 years now so it's safe to say my leafs have settled.

That’s great to know and I appreciate you telling me!

blue78

Loc.
Annapolis Area
I wanted to make sure the tires would clear the uncut fenders in the rear so I did 2.5 up front and 3.5 in the back. I don't think you can tell by looking at it, nothing looks off to me. (maybe a little in that last pic now that I am looking for it)

Attachments

• DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20170816_190648519_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170816_190648519_HDR.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20170924_122702920.jpg
    IMG_20170924_122702920.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 42