• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick Help needed for Tranny install

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
I am getting ready to install my new c-4 Tranny tonight with a friend. He has mechanical experience, however he seems to overlook the small items and we spend alot of time doing do overs. I read about the torque settings for the fly wheel, however we do not have a torque wrench. My buddy says you just need to make sure it is tight as it is not a critical torque setting. Before we start could someone please give me an idea of the critical steps when installing a c-4?

chawkfan

Loc.
Mebane, NC
I can see wrenching some bolts down to German spec's (goodntight) but when it comes down to flexplates, flywheels and/or torque converters, I would prefer using a torque wrench. Parts stores often rent these tools for an outragous deposit but the right tool helps in getting the job done right.

Best of luck, I hope you have a tranny jack?

OP
OP
I

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
Thanks, I just ran up to the auto store and bought a torque wrench, Can you point out some of the critical steps or is it pretty straight forward, line it up and bolt it in from here?

OP
OP
I

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
Hey Brian, No, waiting for some more input. Shawn is a pretty good mechanic but I am a little earitated with the way he speeds through everything. He is young, hard headed and has cost me enough time and money by not taking his time. Im not going to let him do anything else unless he research's it first. So here I am trying to find out as much as I can. How's it going with you? Are you still out of town?

OP
OP
I

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
bump bump....Any help out there? I know this may seem like a stupid question but I have very limmited mechanical skill and I just want to make sure this gets done right. Please advise

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
With 2 guys it should be pretty easy. Put a jack under the motor towards the rear. Use it to change the angle of the motor as necessary. Torque the flexplate. Install the torque converter on the c4. spin it clockwise until you get it to seat all the way in. It should be 3 clicks in. The 3rd one is very small. If you don't think it all the way on you can put a straight edge across the front of the tranny the studs should clear the straight edge. I usually turn the T/C and flexplate down until the drain in the T/C and the hole flexplate are where you can see them. Jack it up and slide it in until the studs in the T/C barely come through the flexplate. Don't draw it in with the housing bolts until the studs are started! Then you can tighten all the bolts to the housing. Then install the T/C bolts. From there it's just hooking up wires, tranny lines, exhaust, etc. If you are converting from a manual tranny remove the pilot bearing.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
ken75ranger said:
Install the torque converter on the c4. spin it clockwise until you get it to seat all the way in. It should be 3 clicks in.
This is the critical part. DO NOT, under any circumstances, bolt the TC to the flex plate and then attempt to install the trans. Put the TC on the trans, then install the trans onto the engine (pretty straight forward bolting...). Then slide the TC to touch the flex plate. You will then have to turn the engine by hand (bolt on the harmonic balancer is easiest way) to be able to install the TC-to-flex plate bolts.

ponch0v

You should put a quart of trany fluid in the tc befor to mount it on the trans.

Also you should be able to freely move the tc studs in the flexplate holes when the trans is full againts the motor. If not this could mean that the tc is bound on the input shaft...not a good thing.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
if your converting from a stick be sure to remove the pilot bearing out of the crank prior to installing the trans.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I was going to say the same as 75 ranger said ...when I was about 20 I didnt get mine thru all 3 clicks and ruined my trans ...so roll it and then roll it some more ...then dont let the trans tilt forward so it comes apart....
Good Luck!!

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I sent that post while on the road. I am back at work - 7-31.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
Don't forget to line up the tab on the drivers side bell housing. Don't force the issue or you can easily crack the bell housing case around the tab. If everything is lined up right it will fit in properly.