• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick Question About Tie Rods & Drag Link

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
So the setup I have is shot. Bad bushings, no grease, torn rubber. Does that measn I have to actually replace the entire thing or do they sell some sort of ball joint fix kit of some sort where you can put on an aftermarket grease bushing instead of having to buy the entire set up of tie rods and drag link?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
That will fix your torn boots, but if the joints are worn out it won't do much good. I just went through the same thing. I cleaned all the dirt and dried grease out of my joints, repacked them with fresh grease, and installed new boots. It helped but there is still a lot of play in the steering because of the worn joints. I now have a whole new linkage setup sitting here just waiting to be installed. I should have just done it right the first time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
SRE = Spherical Rod End (i.e. "Heim" which is a trade-name become generic)

Paul

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

On my 66 I replaced the tie rod ends with two of the shorter tie rods making it a two way adjustable set-up. Basically instead of buying the long tie rod, I got an extra sleeve, cut the old longer tie rod, an threaded the old tie rod to become a center link. So now I have two short tie rods and sleeves on each side. The threading was $20 at a local machine shop and I let him cut it too.

Here's what you would need.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-12715-right-hand-tie-rod-1966-75.html

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-12720-connecting-sleeve-1966-75.html

Good luck!
Chris

PS You can also cut and thread the drag link in the center and add a sleeve. This was done on my 66 by a previous owner making my drag link adjustable. I think you can then just change the end bushings and will have another 30 years out of your drag link.