• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

radiator boiling over?

panteramatt

Wife took our dog to the vet and text ,e a pic of antifreeze on the ground. She said the temp never raised and it didnt seem too hot. She drove it home and I seen it was coming from the vent overflow hose from the top of the rad where the cap is. Rad was a little low but not much maybe 8 oz. So what makes this happen? It wasnt too hot today either.

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
The water in your motor and radiator exands when it normally warms up. The coolant has to have some place to go and normally it goes to the recovery tank. In your case the hose has a hole in it or came loose and when the coolant expanded it went to the ground. Check that hose.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Depending on the year of your bronco or what has been removed in the past you may not have a recovery tank. The coolent level will be a bit low in a open system. If you top it off it will leave puddles until the level is correct.

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
Yea there is no reovery tank. The rubber hose just runs straight to the grtank on the side ound.
All modern cars have a coolant recovery system. You can easly install one or not worry about it. The recovery tank system will keep your raidator full of coolant and the tanks are see through so you can ckeck the coolant level hot or cold.

Years ago raidators had tanks built on top of them. When the engine was cold you could remove the cap and look in to see the level of coolant. The coolant was eirther filled to the top and left to seek its own level or after a while you could judge how far down was OK. When cross flow radiators became poplar the radiator had a small tank on the side and filled it was the level of the top the radiator core. To get 100% use it has to be filled to the top. A coolant recovery system was added. When the coolant expands it is pushed into the tank and when it cools it is sucked back keeping the tank full. Your EB has a cross flow radiator and should have a recovery system to work correctly

I have seen pictures of some early Broncos with expansion tanks built into the top radiator hose and it does not have a recovery system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

panteramatt

You know I have a really nice polished tank I was planning on adding to my mach1. Maybe Ill just throw it in the bronco.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
At the moment, until I get one or build one, I'm using a gear oil bottle that has a 1/4" tube stuffed through the cap snuggly and about 1/2" from the bottom. That tube fits inside the overflow tube tightly. Then I filled the bottle about 1/3 full and drilled a small hole, 1/16-3/32,in the cap for a vent. It's been working fine so far, I can tell when it blows it out cause the bottle's hot;D and the radiator stays full.

Jim W.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If its not a radiator cap or overflow bottle issue it could be a head gasket problem. When my head gasket rotted out, pressure went into the cooling system and popped the cap acting like it was overheating but it wasn't, it was compression pressure leaking past the head gaskit. Ford back then used a steel compisition gaskit instead of stainless and the steel in the head gaskit rusts eventually failing. My origional gaskits lasted to about the 30 year mark.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All modern cars have a coolant recovery system. You can easly install one or not worry about it. The recovery tank system will keep your raidator full of coolant and the tanks are see through so you can ckeck the coolant level hot or cold.

Definitely a good idea to do this on any Bronco. Real estate is at kind of a premium under our hoods, but you can use anything from a stock replacement from a later model Bronco, or a custom, or even a junkyard swap like a lot of us are doing these days.

Without one, even with a good cap you can eventually puke out most of your coolant, one little bit at a time. Been there many times over the years when I was daily-driving mine.
The changeover was finally mandated due to pollution laws more than anything else I bet. Anti-freeze is a poison and pollutant of the first order. And having it puke out of every water-cooled vehicle on the road was just getting to be too much.

Years ago raidators had tanks built on top of them. When the engine was cold you could remove the cap and look in to see the level of coolant. The coolant was eirther filled to the top and left to seek its own level or after a while you could judge how far down was OK. When cross flow radiators became poplar the radiator had a small tank on the side and filled it was the level of the top the radiator core. To get 100% use it has to be filled to the top. A coolant recovery system was added. When the coolant expands it is pushed into the tank and when it cools it is sucked back keeping the tank full. Your EB has a cross flow radiator and should have a recovery system to work correctly

The cross-flow design is generally considered to be the more efficient one. But packaging and the cost of change must've come into play as well, since there was a long period of time during the general changeover (about 20 years or so?) where manufacturers used both types. Sometimes even in the same body style vehicle with different engines.
Broncos are a perfect example, where the V8's got the cross-flow and the I-6's got the down-flow. Not sure if the 6's shared the surge tank up to '68 too or not.
Full size Ford trucks often stayed with the down-flow up to '79. Came in at least two sizes. My '79 had the small one, but now has the super big downflow, while my '83 came a super wide crossflow.

Both types had no recovery tank in the early years, and both types got the recovery tanks in later years.
Quite a few modern vehicles, due most likely to design constraints under the hood, have the modern version of a surge tank, typically called a "de-gas" tank, where there might not even be a filler neck or cap on the radiator at all. In those cases the separate tank is the high point in the system and ''T's" into the main inlet or outlet lines with larger diameter hoses comparable in size to the main hoses.

A '96 Saturn and a '98 Lincoln Towncar that I'm working on have this type of system. You can't even see the radiator in the Towncar. Just the de-gas bottle and cap.

I have seen pictures of some early Broncos with expansion tanks built into the top radiator hose and it does not have a recovery system.

Correct. Recovery tanks were not in regular use on EB's until '73 or so. The surge-tanks you saw were only on EB's until about '68 or so. One of their primary functions on vehicles back then was to make sure that the cap/tank was the highest point in the cooling system. Maybe the sloping tight fit area at the lead edge of the Bronco hood worried them enough so that they put the cap on a tank farther back where they could get more height? Don't know the original reasoning, but that makes sense.
That sloping hood might have made the designers feel it was needed as the normal location for a cap was a bit borderline in height on an EB.
Not that bad though, as it turns out, as they finally just got rid of the separate tank and went to the more common filler neck on the side tank.
It could have been simply for cost savings too. Not sure.

I'm not aware of any cooling-related trouble specifically caused by this change, but when it comes to refilling after a full drain, it definitely helps to burp the system. I've often had to point the nose of the Bronco uphill to let all the air pockets work their way forward more quickly into the top of the radiator. Not doing so usually resulted in a couple of days worth of driving, filling, driving, filling, etc, until it was topped off.

Maybe some of the cooling problems some EB's have are related to the removal of the surge-tank after all? Maybe the general flow of coolant through the system is just not efficient enough to overcome other modifications and heat adders? That would be an interesting avenue to pursue scientifically.
Anybody want to put their filler cap through the hood? ;D

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Cross flow radiator came with the addition of the automatic transmission. necessatating addition of a tranny cooler in the radiator of a already marginal system. if you cant go taller you go wider. getting the air out and upping the pressure cap adds efficency. eveloution.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My recovery tank is just a spun aluminum cylinder.
Coolant enters through the bottom and has to completely fill it before it can get pushed out the top hose. It has almost never puked enough to actually come out the top hose. The day it did I was giving it hell on a real hot day (engine was 235°F).
The little canister works pretty darn good, it contains the coolant and recirculates it too.
About 30 bucks on ebay.

Attachments

• 20130726_133656.jpg
    20130726_133656.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 54