• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator "who has the best"????

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I am getting ready to purchase a new Radiator and would like some feedback on what you guys think would be the best one for my application?

1970 302 .40 over (all new fresh rebuilt with 2500 miles)
Flat top pistons
RV cam
Factory exhaust
Factory 2bbl 2100 carb and intake
Stock 7 blade fan
Stock fan shroud
1/2 -3/4 inch clearance between fan and radiator
Auto transmission
A/C

I currently have a standard 4 core and it wants to creep up around 210-220 in traffic.

I know this isn't really too hot, but I don't like it that hot.
I have already checked the timming, installed a smaller water pump pulley, used a radiator vacuum system to ensure there is no air pockets, etc.
I am not interested in installing an additional electric fan.

So which brand, and style of radiator will cool it down.

Last edited:

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have a fan shrowd. I had a highly built 302 with headers wth a 4 core in my last bronco and it never broke 185 degrees. Even in the ca desert A four core rad should easily cool a 302. How old is the water pump I have seen the internal pump parts rusted pretty badly.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
For a stock look I would get BC's or WH's triple pass copper brass.

If you like the aluminum style that Champion two core on ebay is priced right at about $180 bucks shipped.

dtm030

Loc.
Jax Beach
I have a rebuilt 302 also but bored out .30 over and a c-4 auto and I installed a new American Eagle radiator (which is made by champion) and its a 2 core, three inch thick aluminum radiator with no electric fan and it runs great with that.

tw322

I have a 3 core champion that has been good so far on my 351w.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D;D;DBest luck with a ford 3 row no shroud stock fan 69 351W 4V never had any heat problems with it. Good luck with your choice.:cool::cool::cool: Bill ;D%):D

OP
OP
clarrance

clarrance

Bronco Guru
So it sounds like the 4 core is not the way to go. I might try a Champion. How much trouble is it to make the Champion fit?

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You may find some minor trimming to get the radiator mounts to fit but nothing a novice can't do. A rasp, cut off wheel or dremel tool to cut down excess tabs is all you would need. I bought a 3 core Champion Rad directly from their website. Mine needed four core mounts bc three core would not fit. I did need to modify my 4 core mounts bc the rad leaned in a lil too much towards the mech fan, not much room with a 351w. So I basically modified my 4 core to 3.5 core and came out perfect. I also ran a FlowKooler water pump and built a fan shroud. All these additions helped me with city driving in the arm pit of America!

You will save a lot of money by going the Champion direction, but when I do decide to buy another radiator for my next build I will look at the copper brass radiators. I really like the ones at BC. I have about five copper brass radiators that I have been saving to recycle. Don't know why I have collecting them over the years, that's a whole nother thread. I may get $75-$90 or more for them so that will help pay to upgrade to a brass copper rad.