• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator

duderhimer

Loc.
Wichita
I'm on my third, going on forth aluminum radiator in the past five years. I bought this radiator from one of our repreable Bronco parts distributors, the manufacture has graciously replaced the first two, they have decided to cut ties with me and promised to send me their selling price. They start leaking after approx 12 months between the side tanks and cooling tubes. Has anyone out there had any issues with aluminum radiators? My first Bronco had the same universal single core aluminum radiator as my race car with no issues. I'm using the proper mounts, anode in drain plug, distilled water and antifreeze. Not sure what else to do.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That is odd, I have a cheap champion aluminum rad in mine (6 years) and no issues at all.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Do you do a lot of off-roading?

Aluminum is very vulnerable to metal fatigue, and the flexing of the Bronco core/radiator support will fatigue it fairly quickly.

The reason the OEM's went to aluminum was that it cost about half as much as copper/brass not due to any superior properties.

Also many aluminum radiators are glued together not welded.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Get a bc 3-core and you should be good. I've had em in the broncos about 15 years with no problems. When you said leaking at 12 months I figured it was one of the 4-core conversions. Those don't last either

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Let me guess, you have a set of the fancy urethane rad brackets?

For the failures you list, it sounds like the radiator is being flexed to death. The body is not solid, it flexes a lot more then most people thinks it does. If you look at any new car or truck you will find the radiator floats in the mounts. Really floppy compared to old school mounting.

Aluminum won't take the flex that copper can take.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Let me guess, you have a set of the fancy urethane rad brackets?

For the failures you list, it sounds like the radiator is being flexed to death. The body is not solid, it flexes a lot more then most people thinks it does. If you look at any new car or truck you will find the radiator floats in the mounts. Really floppy compared to old school mounting.

Aluminum won't take the flex that copper can take.

I've found the poly inserts to be too stiff too. Rubber is better and still available on request.

Why not just buy your radiator at your local radiator shop??:?

Punisher

I have an aluminum radiator and have it hard mounted to my core support. My core support is made of tube so it might be a little more ridged. I've had it in there for 5 years and mostly use my bronco off roading. A lot of Moab wheeling. I haven't had a problem yet. But I have been keeping an eye on it lately. It's a tight fit with my with my power steering cooler and trans cooler. Might need to rearrange it

OP
OP
D

duderhimer

Loc.
Wichita
The radiator in question is an aluminum two core that cools very efficiently, as far as body mounts go, it's all stock, in other words junk. My Bronco spends most it's life on the road but does occasional off-road duty.

The most logical answer is flex and vibration, flex I might tie the lower mounts together using square Tubing, maybe do something similar to the upper, for vibration I expect the radiator to handle.

I'm thinking of trying another vendor with a slightly altered mounting using the stock mounts, any other ideas?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is odd, I have a cheap champion aluminum rad in mine (6 years) and no issues at all.

The one in my '69 is 12 years old...and counting...

It's mounted with side flanges (aluminum angle) welded on to the tanks and loose-fitting grommets where those flanges bolt to the core support.

OP
OP
D

duderhimer

Loc.
Wichita
Get a bc 3-core and you should be good. I've had em in the broncos about 15 years with no problems. When you said leaking at 12 months I figured it was one of the 4-core conversions.

SteveL

You're talking about BC's 3 core copper I'm guessing, that's looking promising, this should also allow me room to install the clutch fan I bought a while back.

Thanks everyone, this forum is awesome, someone always has a solution to your problem.

Ken

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Yes the bc copper 3-core. I just have the standard ones and they keep the 351 plenty cool in la traffic. Sice I bought mine they now also offer a higher end model