• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radio Cuts out...

editgod@hotmail

Loc.
LA
Ok so while i'm doing electric work (see other post about lights cutting out...) why does my aftermarket radio cut out when I hit the turn signal or sometimes stop at a light ?

Thanks.

Guy

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Maybe they took power from the signals circuit to operate the radio? Mines a 1966 and ya never know what a previous owner was thinking sometime. I’d start by checking the two power wires from the radio.
Good luck and welcome to the site!
:cool:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Sounds like a ground, but I agree with 'chris - check the power wires to see where the PO tapped into. Should be switched power for the main power and constant power for radio memory. Make sure the ground is solid.

OP
OP
E

editgod@hotmail

Loc.
LA
So you guys say it should be 'Constant Power' but where physically should the wire trace back to ?

Guy

Bferrari

There should be two power wires to the back of your radio. 1 will be constant power, going either directly to your battery with an inline fuse or perhaps picking up a circuit from your fuse block. The second is an ignition hot that is hot with Key on or in the accessory position. If they tapped into the turn signal circuit for your key on power then the blinker relay could be affecting the voltage going to your stereo.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I usually pick up constant power directly from the battery positive terminal cable, With an in-line fuse, as bferrari said. Most replacement positive cables will have a short 12-14G wire already attached and with a butt connector which can be used for this.