• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

radius arm right vs left

661buster1963

I thought I could figure this out, but could use some help. I am changing up the front lift on my 1968 Bronco a little. Today it has the second shock mount that was welded to the radius arm cap by PO, and the cast iron bracket that welds along the length of the coil spring tower. I think the PO said they were K BAR S purchases and a 2 1/2 inch lift with very stiff springs. I have some front shock hoops with double shock mounts to put on, they are 3 1/2" lift with progressive coils. I have some spare radius arms that have the shock mount bracket rivets already cut off and no welded bracket on the radius arm cap that i want to switch to to save a little work. i know the top sides of the radius arms are the ones with the threaded holes for the spring cup, same as the radius arm caps. What I dont know is how to tell which is left and right for both the arms and the caps, for that matter they may both be lefts

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Supposedly they were matched sets from Ford. I was diligent about keeping them matched unil they got mixed up in referbishing, moving etc.. their back on now, fit good and couldn't tell you if they are back in matched.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think the "matched" part is related to the caps as they are machined to fit the arm.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Caps are matched to a arm. The c bushing is where the adjustment is at

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I think the Caps and arms being matched is an old wives tail.
These are not machined parts, these are forged (poorly).
The bushing soaks up any differences.
All the matters is the parts with the threaded holes go up.

NOW, there are some out there that have been bent for alignment and caster reasons as that is how it use to be done, those are side specific as they were modified.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
These are not machined parts, these are forged (poorly).

I can vouch for that...I've mixed 'em up for years with no problems.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Im pretty sure when rhey cast them they did it together and then machined the parts together. Thats it. I have used ones from other trucks with no issue. The bigger issue is getting your c bushing in correctly ;)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Im pretty sure when rhey cast them they did it together and then machined the parts together. Thats it. I have used ones from other trucks with no issue. The bigger issue is getting your c bushing in correctly ;)

I'm pretty sure they're forged as stated abvove, not cast, and based on the flash/tooling lines, I would say they're forged individually. Regardless, I've mixed and match caps and arms from EB's, BB's and F150's without any issues other than the size of the tapped holes for the lower spring cups.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
You can see the casting marks on all arms. They are cast steel. Ford got away from forging alot of parts due to high cost. Ive seen a picture somewhere of them being sand casting radius arms.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA

They were matched sets when built and assembled. The cap and arm were machined together and were stamped with a matching number. Most arms are now rusted/pitted enough that the markings are hard to find but they were there.

If one really wants to ensure that they have the correct cap with the correct arm, the machined section for the lower spring cup is the best place to use. Every pad is a little different and the machining pattern can be used to match them up, unless some one has already done some swapping.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Who really cares lol. I do know ford got away from forging durle to higher cost of forging vs casting parts. Casting steel is cheaper and is strong. The difference between steel and ductile iron is more about the amounts of certain compounds. Sand casting steel has been done for years. Its also pretty cool. All i know is you can weld to it without pre abd post heat. Puts off white sparks not red

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They are forged. I've seen some that have been in bad wrecks and bent nearly 90°. A forging can bend like that. Casting would have broken. I recall the sale literature calls them being forged as well.

I've heard the "matched set" in the past. But in 20+ years have never found anything that backs it. Swapped caps and arms have never shown up as mis-matched.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They are forged.

In the pic below, the easy way to tell the difference is pointed out. The Bronco arms have the wide forging marks, top and bottom, same as shown on the crank on the right.

Attachments

• cast versus forged.jpg
    cast versus forged.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 53

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Forged according to sales brochure as is the trac bar.

Attachments

• forge.jpg
    forge.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
661buster1963

661buster1963

I cut up my man card for not knowing (or even considered the fact) that both sides were the same. I will drink a beer tonight and crush the can on my forehead to see if i can get my card back. Mine do look a little curved though, when I stand the radius on a flat plate of 1/2" steel they do not run to the same angle.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I cut up my man card for not knowing (or even considered the fact) that both sides were the same. I will drink a beer tonight and crush the can on my forehead to see if i can get my card back. Mine do look a little curved though, when I stand the radius on a flat plate of 1/2" steel they do not run to the same angle.

nah. That's barely a minor infraction. ;D