• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

random stalling and valve clatter 73 bronco

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
basically I rolling to a stop and then the car feels like it is running out of gas, then dies. Pretty much a drop to zero RPMS in about 3 seconds. When trying to restart Gas is going to the carb, in fact so much it floods and gas comes out the side. Which led me to think it was an ignition thing, but the plugs are getting spark, so back to the carb flooding issue. Also the fact that after leaving it alone for a few days it starts right up with out a problem, to me at least reinforces the flooding/gunked up carb theory.

This right here tells you it is a fuel issue. The stock carb is about as easy as it gets. Plus they are a great carb.

Take pictures as you go. The biggest thing is cleanliness. You can't be to clean. The next is the correct float level and putting everything back the way it came out. Add in a new fuel filter.

Become a member here for $12 and post pictures. Plenty of people here can help walk you through it IF you have questions.

Dne007

Contributor
Where does gas come out specifically? Perhaps with the key off, have someone pump the gas pedal a couple times while you observe the carburetor to see where gas comes out. I'd also be curious what your choke is doing. Remove the air cleaner and observe it. Maybe your poor engine is just drowning. Seems like I remember a power valve in those carburetors causing problems.

QUOTE="Midnight, post: 3538094, member: 52067"]
gas comes out the side.
[/QUOTE]
various carb kits when/if it comes to that;)

Attachments

• carb kit.jpg
    carb kit.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another thing you can do as at least a help in one area, is to add some gas tank additives that are designed to not only clean the system out (using gas solvents) but to eliminate water buildup (probably alcohol based) that naturally happens especially in older cars, and especially those that are not driven often.

Paul

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Interesting, I had that exact issue with my '71 EB back in the '80's and it turned out to be the coil going bad. I replaced the coil and the next coil would go bad in the same way eventually. Would always restart after a cooling down period. Turns out PO had eliminated the ballast resistor (it is a resistor wire in a stock EB) and I was burning up coils. I added an external ballast resistor and problem solved. I eventually went EFI and completely eliminated the problem.
To this day, I don't go anywhere without a spare coil on hand.

THX,
-JB

OP
OP
Midnight

Midnight

thanks for the replies, I think I am going to forgo the EFI conversion and focus on a working Carb, whether I do it myself or remove it and take it to someone. (I still don't trust myself with the little parts, Carbs and Transmissions at two thing I don't mess with.) Then I need to look into the cleanliness of my tanks, make sure I am not mucking up the carb with dirty tanks, etc Should probably dump the small tank, as I only use it to make sure it does not go dry and rust.

OP
OP
Midnight

Midnight

Where does gas come out specifically? Perhaps with the key off, have someone pump the gas pedal a couple times while you observe the carburetor to see where gas comes out. I'd also be curious what your choke is doing. Remove the air cleaner and observe it. Maybe your poor engine is just drowning. Seems like I remember a power valve in those carburetors causing problems.

QUOTE="Midnight, post: 3538094, member: 52067"]
gas comes out the side.
various carb kits when/if it comes to that;)
[/QUOTE]
that is a good question, last time this happened i was in the middle of an intersection and was not paying too much attention and then i got it home and it just started working again. So then I was back to diagnosing a working engine....

OP
OP
Midnight

Midnight

Another thing you can do as at least a help in one area, is to add some gas tank additives that are designed to not only clean the system out (using gas solvents) but to eliminate water buildup (probably alcohol based) that naturally happens especially in older cars, and especially those that are not driven often.

Paul
The funny thing is I had just added some in the last tank of gas I had got before this happened. i try and make it my daily driver every other week, but I did just go through a 3 week period of not driving it so maybe that might have contributed

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The small front auxiliary tank is made of plastic, so rust is not an issue. Only junk from the gas station, or whatever.
But at least it’s one thing on Broncos that does not rust! :)

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
The small front auxiliary tank is made of plastic, so rust is not an issue. Only junk from the gas station, or whatever.
But at least it’s one thing on Broncos that does not rust! :)
So does that ^^^ mean I’m doubly ‘blessed’ with my ‘77 having BOTH fuel tanks made of plastic??? 🤣🤣🤣

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Indeed it does!
So the only problems you have with yours are stuff that might’ve gotten in there, or gas having sat too long.
For the latter, you still need to clean the tanks occasionally. But if not a lot of old gas, having gone bad, your tanks could literally be pristine after almost 50 years.

The other typical problems with yours, as with any tank, the sending unit and the sock filter could have deteriorated over time.
All depends on how much moisture has been in the tank besides the gasoline.