• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Raptor liner on fresh paint?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
So I am in the middle of painting my ride and am curious if I can apply raptor lining to fresh cured paint without sanding it. I am hoping that after the 24 hours after paint I can tape off the parts and shoot the raptor. Any info would be appreciated. I read all the info I could find and did not see an answer.

As always Thanks in advance!

gick70

Do not tape on fresh paint,careful even on cured paint,ask me how I know!!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I agree I dont want any problems. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!

nickgp

Bronco Guru
I'd let the paint cure(off gas) for at least two weeks before doing that.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the reply! I should have added that it is a single stage acrylic enamel paint. The inside was lined last year, I need to shoot the top of the bed rails, the front support and the rockers with raptor. The bed rails are the only part that will have fresh paint on them, everything else is primer.

CraigS

What is the Raptor's base? You may be waiting a long time for the enamel to dry before the Raptor won't lift it.

Edit- I looked it up, Raptor is a urethane based 2k with an isocyanate hardener. I would not apply it over enamel until ALL the solvents have had a chance to get out of the enamel. Could be 30 days or more. 1K enamel is not a good base for anything.

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Spray an extra sheet metal panel or 2 so you have some test panels to practice on. You may think about spraying some epoxy primer between the new paint and the bed liner as a sealer coat to prevent lifting. Me I would wait 2 weeks and then spray the bed liner I did that with mine with acrylic enamel with a hardener. Masking and removing it is always high risk on new paint. I use a narrow fine line tape to start the masking and then tape plastic to the fine line with regular masking tape this will help limiting how much force it takes to pull off the tape. Urethane bed liner doesnt use a large amount of solvents as a carrier to be sprayed like paint does so less chance of lifting the paint. worth a call to the bed liner maker.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
You can take a piece of plastic wrap and tape a 4"x4" section to the paint. If after 24 hours the plastic wrap is clean your paint is done curing. If it looks opaque stuff is still coming out of your paint so it is still drying.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Great info guys! I will wait a couple weeks and use the plastic trick.
Thanks a million! I appreciate all the replies, you guys are awesome!

BoulderMike22

I applied raptor to the bed of my pickup. The spots that had paint (not sanded or primer) peeled up pretty quickly. I would recommend scuffing the area to be lined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk