• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

raptor lining question

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
I have everything ripped out of the bronco and I'm going to spray in some tintable raptor. Do I need to sand the hole tub to metal? I do have a few minor rust spots, should I just raptor over them? I'm going to be putting mat and then carpet / vinyl down over the raptor if it matters. The raptor is more for protection underneath and a cleaner look up the inner real well area and over the rails. I used this stuff once a few years ago and just sprayed it over with out sanding anything and surprisingly held up pretty good.

J-man

Loc.
Holladay, UT
So the rust spots u should remove all the lose flakes the. Treat with POR15 after this cures scuff all the paint with a 180 grit. No need to remove all paint to metal. Good luck, that raptor liner is a great product and super user friendly

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I sprayed everything with epoxy primer after removing al the rust. It'd holding up well. I'm not sure how raptor will do over por. Have't tried that yet

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Treat only the rust areas with POR. Don't spray Raptor on bare metal. Treat it as a regular paint product. The tech sheet on it says to cover bare metal with an etching (U-POL # UPO776 or UPO741)

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Subscribing, will be doing this in a few months for the first time. Good luck and post a bunch of pictures.

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
i raptored mine 2 years ago and it was easy to do and holding up good.i do have one place between driver seat and rear bench just where back persons feet go that did not hold up long.dont know why.i even wiped the hole floor down with thiner to realy clean it so i missed a spot or my flowmaster is near that spot so heat may be the cause.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Anyone use the tintable one? How much paint to I mix? What kind of paint? Is it just something I can run down to home depot and have made up if I have something to match it with? The PO gave me a can of automotive touch up paint, it's enamel which is what they used to paint the bronco. Can I bring that in and have them use the codes to match color?

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
You need an automotive urethane paint with NO binder. Dupont and Sherwin williams (automotive sherwin) are 2 examples of paint that has no binders in them. Many paint companies like Spies has the binders already in the tints off the machine. The binder pretty much is what makes it a base coat or single stage and helps suspend the metallics and pearls. If you have a paint sample that is sprayed, a good automotive paint jobber should be able to scan it with a color eye to get you a close match. They can't scan it as a liquid though.