• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Re-using Flywheel to Crank bolts

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
The fine thread Flywheel to Crank bolts (6). To reuse or not? A good friend who worked for Chrysler powertrain once told me never to reuse the fine thread ring-gear bolts on axles because the threads stretch when torqued. Is the same true on the flywheel bolts? I just attached the flywheel last night and torqued to 80 lbs. Should I have installed new bolts?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've reused mine multipule times without repalceing havent had a issue. Done the same with ring gear bolts with no issues. Chrsyler may have a different type of bolt installed in there ring gears and flywheels.
I really wouldnt worry much about it unless I was building a race motor.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I reuse those bolts all the time as long as there is no damage.
'93 and up 302 head bolts are torque to yield, do not reuse.

I don't replace lugnuts and studs after each use either, they take a lot more stress then crank bolts.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
x3 -- reused them many times and never had a problem. This is the first time I've heard somebody say otherwise.

Then again, I've always reused head bolts without a problem, too :p

OP
OP
amc78cj7

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks guys. Stupid question #2 I'm about to search on the interweb...

With the Luk, clutch; does the extension with the springs face the flywheel or pressure plate?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Spring side toward the pressure plate usually they have marking or a sticker that indicates flywheel side

OP
OP
amc78cj7

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
Spring side toward the pressure plate usually they have marking or a sticker that indicates flywheel side

Thanks. Actually I've been pretty disappointed with the Luk setup so far and I haven't even driven it. There was no indication of flywheel orientation and no written installation instructions. Also no pressure-plate to flywheel bolts included. Since this is a converstion from an automatic it would have been nice if they include hardware.

vintage bronco

do not forget to put loctite on flywheel bolts. if they torque up fine you should be good to go.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
There was no indication of flywheel orientation and no written installation instructions.

>>> the flywheel only bolts on one way to the crankshaft........on the bolts.. I've also reused flexplate & flywheel bolts with no issues......

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Be sure to put some grease in the pilot bearing.

Chirp ;D Chirp ;D Chirp ;D Chirp ;D Chirp ;D Chirp ;D Chirp ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It wasn't just Chrysler that used to recommend that they not be re-used. It was pretty much the universally accepted recommendation for both the flywheel and ring-gear bolts, for many many years.
That said, I've gone against instructions many times too and re-used them in both applications. On the diff gear though, most complete rebuild kits come with new bolts anyway, so going new is an easy decision.

I'm sure there's a very good reason that the manufacturers recommend that kind of thing, but so many have done it anyway, you should be fine, like the others have already said.
They probably say these things because their lawyers have already learned that we're going to re-use them at least twice anyway, but with the warning in the back of our heads, maybe we'll at least get new ones on the third go-round?

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thanks. Actually I've been pretty disappointed with the Luk setup so far and I haven't even driven it. There was no indication of flywheel orientation and no written installation instructions. Also no pressure-plate to flywheel bolts included. Since this is a converstion from an automatic it would have been nice if they include hardware.

The last LUK cltuch I bought for my 03 Ranger had the markings on the disc and a sticker. I'm not sure if any cltuch kits come with bolts usually most people are replacing a existing setup. They are not really sold as conversions.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I say reuse the bolts also ..old stuff you reused the bolts now in todays world they have yield to torque and turn 1/4 or 90 degrees more..Snap on even has a new torque wrench to tell you when you've went 90 degree.
...Since this sounds like it might be a 1st for you don't run the bolts on the PP to flywheel up with an air wrench I've stripped out 3 holes doing that .. I guess I'm a slow learner..

barronj

Bronco Guru
...Since this sounds like it might be a 1st for you don't run the bolts on the PP to flywheel up with an air wrench I've stripped out 3 holes doing that .. I guess I'm a slow learner..

To further that point, when installing the pressure plate to the flywheel, don't try to snug one bolt, then the next. It usually takes me 4 rounds on the pressure plate to get it snug & torqued to spec. Take your time. DO NOT RUN YOUR BOLTS ALL THE WAY DOWN ON YOUR FIRST GO!

Work in a star pattern ( just like the pp to crank bolts ), taking your time.

OP
OP
amc78cj7

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
To further that point, when installing the pressure plate to the flywheel, don't try to snug one bolt, then the next. It usually takes me 4 rounds on the pressure plate to get it snug & torqued to spec. Take your time. DO NOT RUN YOUR BOLTS ALL THE WAY DOWN ON YOUR FIRST GO!

Thanks guys. This is actually not a first, but I haven't run a stick / installed a clutch in 10 years and even then I probably only did it twice in my life so it's not fresh in my mind. The alternating pattern for tightening I follow on everything and I always torque to specification.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces

Geez, this would'a been some good advice before I did my first clutch four years ago and did the exact OPPOSITE :(

But at least I got to use those shiny EZ Outs I bought months earlier :D