• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear 4 Link Buyers Opinions

u10072

Bronco Guru
Hello All,
I have a question for all of you that might be in the market for a rear 4-link "kit". For those of you that are in the market-- is floor modification a big deal as in deal killer? To me if you are looking for maximum performance out of the EB you are not so worried about floor mods but that might be an issue to some and keep some from buying a kit that requires such a thing. WH sells a rear hoop kit that places the rear shocks almost vertical-- which in reality is the most ideal but the floor has to be cut and a cover added for clearance. While reading and looking at the installed Duff Rear 4 link kit-- It seems to me that they made tons of concessions due to the floor. To me this doesn't make alot of sense. Also the lower links are about midline of the rear end and that too doesn't seem to make any sense. The KOH, and desert race trucks don't place the lower links that high-- if they aren't tearing off the lower links in a race condition why would you at low speeds. Properly built rear lower links shouldn't have an issue in the rocks if properly built. I am just thinking out loud and contemplating building a rear link setup to sell that would actually work well, be at a 3-4" MAX lift, but would probably require floor mods to be properly set up. Personally I really liked Jack Coverts setup a few years back with a few small changes. The kicker is --some welding would be required. To me selling a bolt on rear 4-link kit is not an option.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Matt

JohnnyB77

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
4 link

I think a 4link kit designed with coilovers would be awesome.
As far as floor mods go , well that just depends on
1.the condition the tub is in , and
2. what the rig is used for.
I would love to have a 4 link and coilovers on several of my Broncos.
One of them is a pavement pounder with a pristine body so I wouldn't want to cut the floor. Then again I don't really need a 4 link on the st ,sure it would probably ride better but for the most part it just looks bad ass and would have the ability to get it off road.
Another one is a crawler and the body is already cut and beat up so floor mods wouldn't be a big thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I use every square inch of the bed of my Bronco, so I would prefer not to have to modify the bed.
Weld in doesn't bother me at all.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I would like to 4-link the rear of my Bronco one day but like Pedestrian said I use every bit of cargo space in my Bronco, especially on longer trips. Future plans for me also include running a back seat again, so especially with that goal in mind I wouldn't want to eliminate that option.

With this in mind I know there are concessions to be made, but my Bronco is a mixed use vehicle and while I run the Rubicon and other trails I also drive it as a "back up" vehicle and around town on weekends. Getting away from leaf springs, stretching my wheelbase a tad and improving offroad performance would be my primary objectives.