• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Axle Breather

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I bought a set of axles set up with ARB's and installed them under my rig. There doesn't appear to be a breather on the rear axle and I'm leaking from the seals (probably from the diff warming up & air pressure forcing it out).

I was thinking about putting one in near the end since I'm going to pull the axles & replace the seals anyhow, that would allow me to shove a piece of duct tape in to catch any shavings. What's the best way to put one in without getting shavings in the housing? Any ideas or pictures of a good location or type of fitting used?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
There is usually bolt that holds the brake line junction block on the axle. It has a hole drilled through it. It looks like a regular hex head bolt with a hose fitting on the top end. You attach a hose to the hose fitting on top of the bolt. Mine is routed to the rear corner of the frame on the drivers side. You might want to route it somewhere else if you like deep water.

You can make the special bolt/hose fitting by sliver soldering a hose fitting on top of the existing bolt and then drilling a small hole through the fitting.

It will definitely pop seals without the vent. It will also suck water through the seals if the rear end gets hot and you drive through some deep cool water.

You want the vent near the center of the rear axle. The center has less travel than one of the ends. Use the existing hole. No shavings to mess things up.

PaveBronco

The breather should be in conjunction with the break line block, the breather fitting holds the block in place. Did the PO put a bolt in it instead?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll bet the ARB lines are occupying the breather holes. F&R.

Maybe up front, however the ARB lines exit the dropout/3rd member on the 9", not the housing. The vent fitting isn't particularly robust, so it's possible that it was swapped out for a bolt to hold the brake line tee fitting to the housing.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Maybe up front, however the ARB lines exit the dropout/3rd member on the 9", not the housing. The vent fitting isn't particularly robust, so it's possible that it was swapped out for a bolt to hold the brake line tee fitting to the housing.

Your right about the rear. Responding before thinking, one of my faults.;)

OP
OP
Tedster100

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Yup, got a bolt in the brake line block. Haven't tried to twist it out yet. If I can get it out I'll just cut the head off a bolt, drill it out and turn it down on one end for a hose barb and put a jam nut on it. Thanks for the advice, once I get it done I'll post it up.

pbwcr

I bet a pipe thread barb fitting will screw in place of the bolt in the brake fitting.
Shipped with a bolt to avoid and fluid leakage. Seems simpler to ship the thing dry?
PW

OP
OP
Tedster100

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, you might have to verify that the old one didn't just brake off in there and they ruined the threads by drilling it out. I guess you could tell based on what size bolt is being used now?

The potentially good news is that I don't think they're pipe-threads. Just ordinary straight threads, so if the bolt is the original size, then the new part should just screw right in and you're off and running.
Theoretically, of course. ;)

Paul