• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle removal questions replacing bearings

Navy_chief

Loc.
Oklahoma
Guys,
I am doing the rear brakes and I think since I am rebuilding the whole set-up with all new stuf might as well replace the wheel bearings and seals.

Here is my problem I dont know what I am doing to pull the rear axles is there a step by step link to show how to remove them? I know you take loosen up the backing plate from hub and then what?

I assume the rear bearings are machined pressed on correct?
As always your guys knowledge of broncos is greatly appreciate.
Matt

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey chief. Don't have a link to a video or anything like that, but it is really fairly basic, as you were thinking.

Only the drums have to come off to access the retaining bolts behind the axle flange.
There is a hole in the flange though, so you can rotate the axle to put a socket through the hole and loosen each of the four bolts.

Then, theoretically at least, the axle will literally slide right out. Only thing you might watch out for is gear lube leaking out, so put a pan under there, or some other method of keeping things clean.

The reason I say "theoretically" is because, after howevermanyodd years your bearings might have been intimate with the housing, they may not want to part ways.
The drums can fight you too of course, but the axles will really put up a fight sometimes.
Occasionally, you can just keep pulling and they'll eventually pop straight out. Sometimes you can reverse the drum, put a couple of lugnuts back on, and yank from that as a point of leverage.

Some use a chain and a com-a-long (search some threads here) and others just go rent a slide hammer puller kit.
My first one came right out in two minutes. The other one took half a day and then the slide hammer made short work of it.

Once they're both out, you can simply pull the third member out and clean out the gunk and have some good clean fun!

Hope that helps.

Paul

ryansbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The place of bronco
you can loosely bolt the drum on up side down and use it as a redneck slid hammer. I has worked for all but one of mine. So I now own a slid hammer
a cheap HF unit but it got me back on the road

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Forgot to mention Navy_chief, but Chris' diagram should show you that yes, the bearings are pressed on to the axles, so come out with the assembly. They're just a slip-fit into the axle housing.
What happens though, is that over the years, they get gunked up and rusty and just plain stuck in there good.
Seems like most of the time, one will cooperate and the other will fight you.

The seals are pressed into the outer axle housing and should be replaced at the same time obviously. A very close inspection of the mating surface for scratches and digs from the removal process is very important, as oil WILL seep passed the outer edge of the seal, even though they usually have that coating to reduce that chance.
If in doubt though, put a little silicone around the housing.

Once the axles are out, you "can" remove the bearings yourself, but it's much easier to pay someone to press them off. Plenty of members here use a chisel and big hammer to get the retaining ring off, then the bearings come off much easier, but I've always used the just-write-a-check method myself.

Paul

OP
OP
N

Navy_chief

Loc.
Oklahoma
Forgot to mention Navy_chief, but Chris' diagram should show you that yes, the bearings are pressed on to the axles, so come out with the assembly. They're just a slip-fit into the axle housing.
What happens though, is that over the years, they get gunked up and rusty and just plain stuck in there good.
Seems like most of the time, one will cooperate and the other will fight you.

The seals are pressed into the outer axle housing and should be replaced at the same time obviously. A very close inspection of the mating surface for scratches and digs from the removal process is very important, as oil WILL seep passed the outer edge of the seal, even though they usually have that coating to reduce that chance.
If in doubt though, put a little silicone around the housing.

Once the axles are out, you "can" remove the bearings yourself, but it's much easier to pay someone to press them off. Plenty of members here use a chisel and big hammer to get the retaining ring off, then the bearings come off much easier, but I've always used the just-write-a-check method myself.

Paul

Paul,
Thanks for all the great info. I will tackle this job after work today and see where it goes from there. I will need to find out where to take my axle to for having the bearing pressed on.
Matt

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Paul,
Thanks for all the great info. I will tackle this job after work today and see where it goes from there. I will need to find out where to take my axle to for having the bearing pressed on.
Matt

to bad i wasn't down there i could get chickasha mfg. to do it for you