• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle size, seals and bearings.

Hurseyc

Loc.
Waterloo, IL
I went to the parts store to get rear outer axle seals. They had two parts listed. One for a light axle and one for a heavier axle.

How do I figure out which I have?

Also, do the bearings have to come out to replace the seals?

Thanks

1969 1/2 cab 170 3sp by the way.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
light axle

They usually have the heavy one in stock but not the light. The heavy axle is what we call a BB (big bearing) found in later years 76-77 maybe? Your 69 is the smaller unless somebody changed it. A quick look at the rear center section is a good quick indicator also.

Ya pull the brake drum and you can get the 4 bolts off with a hole found in the axle shaft end. Then put your drum back on backwards and thread on two lug nuts a few turns and using the drum as a slide hammer pull the axle shaft out along with the bearing. Then inside the tube youll see the seal. I put a new seal in last week and damaged it because it was some super thin chinese junk for $12. Mine leaked right away again. JBG has them seals for $4! I rocomend renting a seal and race driver from wherever you get the seal.

When i pulled mine apart i did notice some goop between the axle housing, backing plate, and the retaining plate. I regooped upon assembly, but not sure if its necessary. I dont see what its doing on there. I think there were 2 gaskets from the factory?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
All years had the big bearing axle available. Check bolt pattern and size to ID.

Attachments

• ford%209%20inch%20axle%20ends.JPG
    ford%209%20inch%20axle%20ends.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 60

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
ya your right. I have that pic saved and reference it alot. For some reason i thought the BB axles were uncommon and only made towards the end of the production years.

So you could have either one. I should have told you to measure the bolts.

So All year HD BB axles are the same? Just the 76-77 have the wider 2 1/4" brake shoes? Any difference in housing strength?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So All year HD BB axles are the same? Just the 76-77 have the wider 2 1/4" brake shoes? Any difference in housing strength?

You have '66-'75 big bearing, heavy duty axles; '74-'75 big bearing, medium duty axles; and '76-'77 big bearing axles. All have different lengths due to brake width differences. They are not interchangable.

All pre-'77 housings are the same except for the bearing pocket size and flange. '77 has the stronger housing.

OP
OP
H

Hurseyc

Loc.
Waterloo, IL
Thanks for ALL the info. I had to order the parts anyway so I'll double check the bolt measurements and see what I have.

Thanks guys!