• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle wrap, really bad, need help!!!!!

CarpeBronco72

Loc.
Brownsville, Texaco
I have a 3 inch lift, no lift blocks, 37 inch tires and 4.88 gears. 4 link, 3 link, traction bars. I can build some thing if need be I have excelent fabricating skills. but need some advice and ideas , So I can solvre thins ugly problem. around $150-$200. Is it doable? Also have a horrible screaming sound coming from the back of the D20, could it be the output shaft berring. if I go under the truck the yoke can be moved up and down slightly. was this cause from the excessive axle wrap?

Help me out gang, completely stumped!!!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Build a traction link... search the forums there are many options..
I'd go 4 link

Amac70

ME
http://www.sams4x4store.com/index.html

look under traction bars

build something like this. It is amazing the difference it will make on and offroad. The one I built on my rig didn't limit any motion or anything bad that i can tell. I forked it after install and i can still invert my rear springs(need to get bumpstops.) Just don't do what i did and go wheeling before you finish welding it in. Ripped mine off about 3/4 of the way through the day, and the second i did it I knew something was wrong totally changed the way it drives. Good luck.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Here is a pretty good thread with a discussion about anti-wrap bars, I was about to build one, I even bought most of the pieces for it and ended up doing a 4-link instead. For what it costs to build (or buy) a sturdy anti-wrap bar you are halfway to a 4-link.;D

PaulS

Loc.
Greater Seattle area
I would think that some short ladder bars mounted on self aligning bearings would solve the wrap up problems and keep your ability to wind and twist your way down the trail. They could even be mounted to the rear of the frame instead of going forward. Tying the bars to the rear of the frame would tend to load your tires by compressing the springs instead of wrapping them up.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Duffs wrap bar.

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 94

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
really if I were you I would build the upper links for a 4link this would stop the wrap and when you are ready you can finish it off and have a 4link;D

Amac70

ME
building a four link is little bit of an overkill to fix a little axle wrap. An axle wrap bar at the most to buy is 300. If you build it your self its less then 100. I don't see how you can get into a four link for less then a 1000 and probally close to 2000 when all said and done. Seems like a no brainer to me if the rest of your suspension is working well for you.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
building a four link is little bit of an overkill to fix a little axle wrap. An axle wrap bar at the most to buy is 300. If you build it your self its less then 100. I don't see how you can get into a four link for less then a 1000 and probally close to 2000 when all said and done. Seems like a no brainer to me if the rest of your suspension is working well for you.
If you can build a wrapbar for $100 bucks then you can easily build a 4-link for less than $600. But, you get what you pay for. Wrap bars see a tremendous amount of force and need to built out of something substantial, I have seen several bend or brake (same goes for a 4-link but the load is spread out over more links) Wrap bars if not designed properly will add antisquat which hurts your wheeling ability. I was very happy with how my leaf springs performed, but wasn't willing to replace bent springs every couple trips or add a antiwrap bar that would make my bronco bounce when climbing, when for the cost of basically two antiwrap bars and some coil springs I could get something better.

Amac70

ME
Yeah i guess i wasn't thinking about coil springs, I was thinking coil overs. That would save a bit of money. And i agree you could probably build the links for less then 600 but not much. With the price of steel around here you'd be halfway there to 600 before you bought a hiem or any bushings.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
If you can move the yolk of the D20 up and down you have a problem. It sounds like you are in for a rebuild of the D20 or a call to Altas.