• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle wrap

buknbrco

Loc.
Fairfield
Any suggestions for a axle wrap limiter. My favorite so far is two points on the rear axle and on point mounted on a shackle to a crossmember between the frame. I have seen a setup like this on other vehiles but not an EB. I crawl under mine and just cant see the room. I am running WH 5.5" rear leafs and after one trip without anything I can see a little warp in the rear springs. I have been told that axle wrap will kill leaf springs and it looks like that is not far from the truth.

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
buknbrco said:
Any suggestions for a axle wrap limiter. My favorite so far is two points on the rear axle and on point mounted on a shackle to a crossmember between the frame. I have seen a setup like this on other vehiles but not an EB. I crawl under mine and just cant see the room. I am running WH 5.5" rear leafs and after one trip without anything I can see a little warp in the rear springs. I have been told that axle wrap will kill leaf springs and it looks like that is not far from the truth.

I believe SaddleUp has a set up exactly like what you are looking for. I am planing on dooing the same thing.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I just put this one on mine
Traction%20Bar.jpg

I ended it having to go back into 2 in 1 exhaust to get it to fit. I also modified their axle bracket to fit my heavy duty housing. The closer you can get the bar to center the better. Also, don't waste your money on their forward bracket just make your own. This thing weighs about 30 lbs and is seriously heavy duty.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
GRIZZLY said:
I just put this one on mine
Traction%20Bar.jpg

I ended it having to go back into 2 in 1 exhaust to get it to fit. I also modified their axle bracket to fit my heavy duty housing. The closer you can get the bar to center the better. Also, don't waste your money on their forward bracket just make your own. This thing weighs about 30 lbs and is seriously heavy duty.

Who makes that?

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
But being a full bushing traction bar how does it flex? Any photos? I'd like to see a photo of the rear leaf spring shackle at full drop. And then another showing the trac bar shackle at the same spot.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68 Broncoholic said:
But being a full bushing traction bar how does it flex? Any photos? I'd like to see a photo of the rear leaf spring shackle at full drop. And then another showing the trac bar shackle at the same spot.
If you check the end of the thread posted above you will see where I tested mine beyond full droop. I.E. With the u-bolts removed and the axle hanging under it. I have since put it on a ramp however the ramp wasn't the greatest setup and it was on a hill so there wasn't any way to make a direct comparison. It did not appear to have any less flex though than before.

Another member has asked me to build one like mine for him which I will be doing in the next week or so. If anyone else is interested send me a PM.