• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Brake Drum wil not come off...Need Help

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
BFH plus guts to keep banging away...Spinning drum as you go helps.
Also, loosen adjustor through backing plate all the way.
Michael

OP
OP
E

EagertoLearn

Loc.
Harrisville
I loosened up the adjusters all the way... I will try the bfh again. I just need to keep spinning the drum around and see what happens

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
pry a little with a screw driver while beating.. also spray some wd40 on the center.. get mad and hit that sucker.. lol

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
What worked for me was using my angle grinder with a wire wheel, I used it around the center section and they came right off after it removed the old rust, etc.

Make sure you have eye protection.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Cut the heads off the pins that hold the shoes on. Those should be replaced with a brake job anyway.

OP
OP
E

EagertoLearn

Loc.
Harrisville
Looks like it already had brakes done. Pads look to be 80 percent on both sides.
What is the proper way to adjust the rear brakes once I put the drums back on?

OP
OP
E

EagertoLearn

Loc.
Harrisville
I used all the suggestions, I first wire wheeled the centers then took a big screwdriver and pried while breating on the drum and off it came! Thanks for the help!

MattW

Rear brakes don't see much action. I'm fairly certain mine were original when I tore into them. They still looked usable, but I wasn't going to chance it.

OP
OP
E

EagertoLearn

Loc.
Harrisville
These looked new so I think they will be fine. Looks like he put new all the way around but didn't change the lines. I always put all new lines on my builds. They are easy to get to now with body off and engine out.

MattW

I can only imagine how much easier that would be. I ran new ones with the body and engine still on the frame. It wasn't impossible, just a pain in the ass.