• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Diff help?

gladrich

My rear differential is leaking at the pinion shim (At least that's what it is called in the attached picture.). When I removed the outer pinion seal a small circular spring fell out. I am trying figure out where it goes. It is a very small coiled spring in the shape of a circle about 2 inches in diameter. It looks like it would fit snugly on the outer pinion beariing but I'm not sure what good it would do. Anybody know where this goes? I can provide a picture of the spring if it would help.

THANKS.
Dan

Attachments

• fo9dia.jpg
    fo9dia.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 19

Tuff68

Loc.
Hermitage, TN
Spring

More than likely it is the spring that goes around the rubber part of the pinion seal. I just took mine apart and the spring came out of mine when I pulled it loose.
The seal being bad will be the cause of your leak.
Hope this helped,
David

OP
OP
gladrich

gladrich

AHHH! After reading your reply I looked at my new seal and I see that it has a spring around the rubber part. Whew!

Thanks again!

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Yep thats the seal tension spring. Sounds like its time to inspect the pinion for wear of scaring and if all is well replace the worn seal

Tuff68

Loc.
Hermitage, TN
Yoke

Gladrich,
Also check the OD on the Yoke. The part that the seal fits over. On mine the spring had cut into that part of the Yoke. If so this could be the cause of the new seal not fixing the leak. Mine had two very deep groves and I had to replace the Yoke also.
Good luck,
David

OP
OP
gladrich

gladrich

Done. Had a heck of a time getting the outer bearing to slide back down the pinion gear shaft. Had to turn it to just the right position for it to slide down on. Thanks allot for your help Tuff and TJK!

Last edited: