• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear disc conversion

robnoxious

Loc.
provo, ut
Instead of replacing the pads on my small bearing 9", I'd like to convert to discs. What are my options for that axle? Also the ebrake still needs to work. Thank you.

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
you can get the brackets from
disk brake brackets
I just used the weld-on ones, hooked every thing up and had my 7yr old hold the brake pedal after i positioned the caliper where i wanted it then weled it on. I used full size chevy front calipers(forgot what year i think mid 80's) and rotors from a 97 dodge 1/2 ton . The dodge rotors are a little bit more than some others you can use but i like them they slide right over the axle flange. I got lucky and only paid $20 for the ones i got, A friend had a brand new set of rotors laying around.
oh yeah you will need to make little donut spacers to use these rotors the holes for the wheel studs are a little bigger than the wheel studs. I had some metal shock bushing inserts that i cut to the thickness of the rotor and hammered the in.
Mike

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
robnoxious said:
Instead of replacing the pads on my small bearing 9", I'd like to convert to discs. What are my options for that axle? Also the ebrake still needs to work. Thank you.
You have a few options. The guys have suggested some of them. Your other choice is the sliding caliper Ford rear disks. Without going into a long winded explanation, you will find these on early ford Tbirds and cars of that type.

This being one of my favorite topics (rear discs) I have compiled all my findings and back yard engineering into a tech article and have submitted it to JON. If he has not posted it, drop me an email or give me your email address and I will send you a copy of the article.

I am also working on putting Lincoln rear discs off a big bearing rearend on a 73 Bronco. This Bronco is small bearing ends. The machinist and I have developed a solution that in the end will cost about 50 bucks to put the massive Lincoln discs on the Bronco. With a little more work I will have hydroboost brakes on 4 wheel discs (12 and 1/2' rotors!!) on my horse. It only weighs 4000 lbs with a brake system meant to stop a 6500 lb car.
Can you say major whoa power?? It also has factory Ford Ebrake setup on it that works! More to follow.

TOFIC

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Walker949, Would you mind sending me a copy too? I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

tia!!!

John

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
DISK Brake article and Pictures!!!!

Guys!!

Patience, I will send THE Article to everyone with pictures just to motivate you but --- i need your email address. Some of you sent it to me (Ryans71, your address did not work) and I sent the article and pictures to you. sorry snake forgot the attachments, sent another message with the attachments.

Send me an email (walker@agt.net) and I WILL send you the article and a picture or two to get you going.
Jon (admin) has the article but he is one busy puppy, so patience I am sure he will get it up ASAP
Read article fully and carefully. There is about 5 years worth of research and backyard engineering in those pages. It will save you a lot of time and energy and will help you get the right setup.
Both systems work and work well, even the Ebrake setups. The most I have put out for a system is about 2 bills. so it is affordable.

TOFIC