• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear drum brake adjuster

Knuck

Put all new brakes on my 76, hardlines, soft lines, calipers, wheel cylinders, shoes, and pads. After bleeding the brakes, the rear adjusters aren't sitting like they were prior. They aren't up on the adjustment wheel.

c87a903b5555e7f3a100093138154a9c.jpg
a95eeab545262c1d6e2093a2b6446e63.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Knuck

It looks correct when compared to the pic taken before disassembly
28e8e3a03622a3427f7aa9558c57aa63.jpg

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
That shoe is sitting really low, and your adjustment screw is turned way out. The shoe is not positioned properly on the backing plate. I would turn the screw back in, put the drum on, manually adjust the shoes until tight thru the hole in the backing plate, then back them off until you can remove the drum. Then position the adjuster like it should be and see if it works properly. If so, put the drum back on, readjust until the drum slightly drags…

OP
OP
K

Knuck

Shoes are sitting on the slide pads like they are supposed to. It almost seems like the adjust.ent cable is stretched. I re used the old hardware. Going to try all new hardware, and see how things look.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, post a picture showing the whole brake assembly. Not a closeup. Besides that, I would clean the dust off of everything and put a little grease on the star adjuster threads and the 6 spots where the shoes contact the backing plate. Good luck

OP
OP
K

Knuck

Here is a pic of the entire assembly.
2f89e6bb62743df43275949fa8702853.jpg

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a pic of the entire assembly.
you sure shoes are on right side and not using two fronts or two rears on one side

Assuming the shock is to the rear, he has it assembled correctly. The primary shoe with less braking surface is toward the front, as it should be.
The secondary shoe with more braking surface is toward the rear.

Last edited:

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
OP
OP
K

Knuck

Assuming the shock is to the rear, he has it assembled correctly. The primary shoe with less braking surface is toward the front, as it should be.
The secondary shoe with more braking surface is toward the rear.
This is correct. Both sides are assembled with the short shoe in the front, and long shoe to the rear.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have no experience with 11" brakes, but is this gap between the bottom of the backing plate and the bottom of the shoes normal?
This is from the first pic the OP posted.

1715328408390.png

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...the rear adjusters aren't sitting like they were prior. They aren't up on the adjustment wheel.
Good. Before, the autoadjuster screws were stuck - they couldn't turn & adjust. That's why the pawl was sitting on the tooth, NOT doing its job, either.

Once the threads are free, any time the pawl comes up onto a tooth (which only happens when the shoes move so far that they NEED adjustment), it pushes the wheel & drops off again - exactly like it SHOULD.

But it doesn't look like you applied any grease to the mechanisms, which means they'll wear faster, & seize up again. Read this page:

(click this text)

The NEXT several pages explain how drum brakes work.