• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear end Gears and top end speed/RPM

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Those of you running a c-4 with 33 inch tires and 4.11 gears, Hows the freeway driving speeds and RPM's? I presently have the same set up but with 3.55 gears in the rear end and was wondering how much top end I will loose going to the 4.11's. I also thought of switching to 35 inch tires if I go to 4.11's, will that help much? Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
At 65mph I'm at about 3000 rpm. That's a comfortable speed to cruise at long distance. I have had it up to 90mph briefly. A change to 35" tires would get the rpms down to about 2800 at 65mph.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have had a 33" 4.10 gear combo over 100 MPH before.
I have also cruised that same combo from Phoenix to Flagstaff a couple of times. It revs the engine a little, but nothing to worry about.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Usually its only about a 300 rpm differance. You probably wont notice any loss of top speed but you will notice you get there faster. You will notice the higher engine speed but its not that much. You will also probably notice that the gas gauge moves a little fast towards E. You might be able to slow it down with a cam that matched to your setup.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
33s are typically ~32" tall; 35s are ~33.7", so that's a difference of ~5%.

Changing from 3.55 to 4.11 is ~14%.

So assuming you fix your speedo gears perfectly or use a GPS, you'd see ~9% decrease in top speed at your redline RPM, or ~9% increase in RPMs for any given speed.

But if you balance the gear change with a tire change, then you've accomplished nothing, other than speeding up your driveshaft (causing more vibration) and lightening your wallet.

Also, gears with higher numbers (4.11) are inherently weaker than low numbers (3.55)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It isn't as clear cut as some of the above make it sound. Yes, the engine may be spinning 9% faster, but it is working less to spin that extra speed. The power demand is (for all pratical purposes) the same. so fuel economy should not drop much and in many cases it will actually increase as the engine will now be running in a more efficient powerband. With a C4 (any automatic without a lockup convertor) the transmission is way more efficient with a little more RPM. 3.50 gears and 33's have probably been beating that transmission up pretty bad. 35's will be even worse for it. Need more gear to work the torque convertor less, less convertor abuse is a cooler transmission that lasts longer and if the engine is puttin the power into the ground instead of into heating the fluid it is more efficient.

I remember a few years back a friend who ran 33's forever changed to 35's. Ran 4.10 gears. He noted how much performance suffered with the change. Mostly highway.

As for the strength of gears, a Dana 44 and a Ford 9" are plenty strong. There are plenty of other driveline parts you will destroy well before you remotely get close to the strength limits of any ring and pinion that is high enough to get you down the highway. I can't even think of how many people are running 4.56, 4.88 (myself), 5.13, 5.38, etc. gears. Many of thise with overdrive transmission and low gears in the transmission/transfer case. Don't even let the idea of weaker gears scare you. They are plenty strong. Also a properly set up driveshaft will spin fast and still run smooth. I have had my driveshaft spin to 5000+RPM several times and it isn't an issue (yes 5000 RPM is a lot)

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
so fuel economy should not drop much and in many cases it will actually increase...
I agree with this completely, and I've posted it myself. Fuel consumption isn't directly related to RAR or engine RPM - it's more closely related to the DRIVER & how hard he presses the skinny pedal. So regardless of any modifications you do, if you EXPECT something to increase performance, you're more likley to romp on it more often, so any drop in economy is really YOU.