• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear End Problem

J

jarch

Hello All,

So I was enjoying a nice evening drive last night in the Mtns with my wife, where all of sudden I hear a metallig grinding noise that was coming from the Drivers left rear. There was grinding, then some clunking. We pulled over, and I removed the rear driveshaft and drove home in 4wd. When i got home, the rear brake drum was very hot, and there was some smoke from burning brakes. Thee was also oil from the axls that was oozing all over the brake drum. I jacked up the rear and rotated the wheel. There did not appear to be any friction from the brakes - they do not seem to be binding.

My question before I tear into it tonight:

Do you guys think that it is a stuck, or spun wheel bearing? I hope it is not something more serious in the rear axle.

Thanks,
Jeff

70_Steve

Old Guy
jarch said:
the rear brake drum was very hot, and there was some smoke from burning brakes. Thee was also oil from the axls that was oozing all over the brake drum. I jacked up the rear and rotated the wheel. There did not appear to be any friction from the brakes - they do not seem to be binding.
OK, I'll guess axle bearing. Worn bad enough to allow the axle to be offcenter with weight on it. When you jacked it up, it allowed the axle to fall back in center, centering the drum on the brake shoes. This would also explain the gear lube leak, as the axle was offcenter in the axle seal.

OP
OP
J

jarch

Broncobowsher said:
From the description, I go for bad bearing. Same reasons as explained above.

Thanks.......I agree. Will post back tomorrow.....

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
99.9% sure its a wheel bearing had that happen to me once although I had no oil coming out when I removed the driveshaft 200 miles later it caught fire got that put out and 2 more miles and the bearing retainer plate let go on out came the whole axle shaft and what was left of the bearing I was lucky that I was just pulling off a stoplight so my speed was only about 5mph very little damage and most of that was to my pride.

Its also a good idea to replace the other axle bearing to since it will probably start doing the same thing soon.

J

Jarch

And the winner is.........

Everyone who replied!

The problem was a very shot / melted / deformed bearing. I put in a new one and it works well. I do have another problem now, and I think it is the Pinion Bearing. I can grab the back of the rear driveshaft and move it up and down quite a bit, and now I am getting driveshaft vibration at highway speeds. It looks like the bearings in my rear axle are in need of replacement.

Thanks for the advice for the other wheel bearing. I can grab the tire and move it a little bit. I may replace that one as well.

Why do we like these Broncos so much again!???!?!?!? I have had mine since '92. It was my first vehicle and I'm still holding on to it.......