• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Help

GSP9

Loc.
State College
I'm in the process of replacing leaf springs and bushings. I was test fitting everything and the new bushings would not fit into the rear shackle. The new bushings are a hair too big. No way they're going to be forced in there. So I started looking and without having other stock shackles, it's hard to say but it almost looks like someone put a sleeve in the shackle at some point. If they did it was a long time ago and they're not coming out because it looks like they are welded along the one seam.

It looks like the bushings would fit if the sleeve were not in there. Can anyone confirm if these sleeves were added. I added two pics. I'm at a crossroads, if the sleeves were added then I'll just order new shackles. If nothing was added and the sleeves are original, then for some reason, the new rubber bushings are too large / wide to fit in there.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 64

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, those are the remnants of the original rubber bushings. That sleeve was originally the outer jacket of the vulcanized rubber and was pressed in as a unit with the bushing and it's inner sleeve.
As you've noticed, after some time in place it's basically become one with the shackle.

Like was said, use a hacksaw blade to cut one or several slots (how ever many are needed in your particular case) through the sleeve but not into the shackle and then peel/pry/cuss it out of there.

I'm still on a mission to have the poly bushing manufacturers add another part number to their lineup. An undersize shackle bushing to fit into the sleeve so we don't have to remove them anymore. Probably 90% of them are rusted solid anyway!

Good luck.

Paul

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I have seen the similar problem.. more fun to use a BFH and a tie rod end pickle fork. No pickle fork..great excuse to go buy one.

If you use a cutting torch, just have a Brush 3 AKA the "Fire Bronco" on stand by. lol

Attachments

• bushing removal.jpg
    bushing removal.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 69
  • fire bronco.jpg
    fire bronco.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 34