• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear License Plate Bracket

jeremywatco

Loc.
San Diego, CA
My 73 was missing the entire rear license bracket. So I ordered a new one, new spring, new spring mount, etc etc.

Here is my question... It works. However how hard is it supposed to be to "flip" it up and down? Mine already ripped out the small screwed that were holding the spring in. Ran some larger self tappers in and its working again but it seems like there is a ton of pressure on that mount where its moving up or down.

Did I screw something up or is that how it works?

OP
OP
J

jeremywatco

Loc.
San Diego, CA
If I use two hands and go slow and smooth it seems fine. If I try to flip it thats when problems start.

y4m9dFWv5VmpiSlFDhQ7ShzVtlTFU7FanA1CZv4N1fcoP7v3V1CUsaQ3_BcQk9B8yk5IE-qeTp6VRmyytobitd2Z8QB39aMDlcQN0VnSMOgtAH4yzI1ehC6aA11_6hoUIB_QWvNVK1pMD8RZA-spItZm2SqX2oK4nqzOibPN78QxERiIZ4o_opqhlsppPpS1USGYmUean4s75zK3slD_RF6UQ

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't flip it! It's just a pull and push thing. Flipping is likely to just bend or dislodge components of the bracket and spring.

They're usually relatively stiff(ish) and typically make a nice creaking noise when you raise and lower it.
If yours has some issue that we can't find, just leave it down in the normal position for now. No need to raise it unless you're hauling a long load with the tailgate down (or delivering newspapers like I would have done with mine!) and that way it won't give you any trouble.

Agree that it should not just pop out like yours did, but maybe you were using a little too much enthusiasm? Or was that "flipping" just a figure of speech and you are taking it easy and it's still dislodging things?

Paul

Jakedog

The new one I installed is the same way. Since I don't have the need to use it I didn't worry about it.