• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear locker suggestion

T-7ToNewOldB

However, if you think you are going to do (or might start to do) regular off road lockers can handle both worlds just fine. Open diff on-road and lockers off road, only when you want them to lock.

I chose the DuraGrip as I’m not going to drive off road at all much. New ground up build and I live in Chicago suburbs. Not much off-road near me. .

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

How does the clutch type work as I have no idea how the lockers work besides they lock both wheels. Can I turn them on and off with a switch in cab?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
How does the clutch type work as I have no idea how the lockers work besides they lock both wheels. Can I turn them on and off with a switch in cab?

the clutch type work all of the time and are not a locker, think of it as holding a screw driver shaft in your hand. squeeze the shaft and turn the screw driver, it has resistance, release your grip and there is less/none. that is how the clutch type works, it allows the wheels to slip but not as freely.

Knowing the group you run with, spend the dollars and do an ARB. I know 1/2 the group here will say I'm wrong but go to 4.10 or 4.30 gear, 4.56 is just too much IMHO for 35's. Get it set up and give me a call and we'll have a driving/wheeling class day so you know how all of that works and why. Or we can go do one now and one after so you can experience the difference;D We'll have a fun great day, it truely is my pleasure to help you learn and understand your equipment.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
This does what besides give you 2 wheel drive regardless of what the transfer case is shifted to? Certainly has nothing to do with the OP's question.

Guess I missed the rear locker part--I am shopping for a front locker and had it on my mind. Thanks for calling me out in such a professional manner. Real classy.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
IF you EVER get any snow or ice in Tulsa, then ARB 1st choice (or Grizzly selectable if they make it), TruTrac 2nd.

You want absolute predictable loading/unloading in the snow or ice. Short wheelbase? Narrow? High COG? More reasons for smooooth operation of the rear locker.

If my kid was gonna drive it, ARB, Grizzly (if they make a 9") or TruTrac. Not worth thinking you could have prevented a spin out if you'd spent the extra bucks for a predictable rear locker.

Drove Detroits, TruTrac's, ARB's, Auburns, TracLoks, you name it in my Bronco. I've been running ARB's since they came out ('87 frt & '96 rear) and they are worth every penny. The 31 spline ARB is stronger than the 35 spline unless you go with their super fancy $2500, 35 spline model. I can send you pics if you want to know see why.

Last edited:

Nothing Special

IF you EVER get any snow or ice in Tulsa, then ARB 1st choice (or Grizzly), TruTrac 2nd....

I don't think you mean to include the Grizzly in your first choice. The Yukon Grizzly is an automatic locker that works much like a Detroit. I think you mean the Yukon Zip locker which is a selectable like the ARB.

Although personally I don't mind automatic lockers in the rear for snow and ice. I definitely agree that they aren't for everyone. And if you are going to do any sidehill driving they'd be a lot sketchier. But I've had them in my daily driver through 10 - 15 Minnesota winters. Currently I have a TrueTrac, but I'd do an automatic locker again.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I corrected it, thanks. Yes selectable only

I don't think you mean to include the Grizzly in your first choice. The Yukon Grizzly is an automatic locker that works much like a Detroit. I think you mean the Yukon Zip locker which is a selectable like the ARB.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I watched the Yukon video . Good basic stuff.

What's nice about a site like this is when someone asks for input like in this case a locker- we can give opinions and real use examples compared to a sales or tech guy explaining how their products work.

Example: side hilling on snow, ice, mud... you want a selectable so you won't slide sideways down the hill. Some will say just give it more power and pull out of it... yeah, lol I can give you a dozen scenarios where this won't work... but,

Anyway, good video for sure. Good luck on your decision.

Broncojim

If you have 35 inch tires I suggest you best be looking at 4.88s especially if you will eventually have a trans with OD or else the OD will have little power. I have 33s with 4.88 and a 5th OD of .76:1 and my 4th is 1:1. Your 35s would have ~10% less RPM.
MPH Gear RPM
70 5th 2643
65 5th 2455
60 5th 2266
55 5th 2077

70 4th 3478
65 4th 3230
60 4th 2981
55 4th 2732
50 4th 2484
45 4th 2236
40 4th 1987
35 4th 1739

Last edited:

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know 1/2 the group here will say I'm wrong but go to 4.10 or 4.30 gear, 4.56 is just too much IMHO for 35's.

Yep, I've had 4.30s for 14 years and to me they are perfect for a 35" tire. I run them with 37s and no issues but 35s seem dead on to me with that ratio. No overdrive. Very rare does somebody else agree with that, 4.30 seems to get lost, most jump from 4.11 to 4.56 as if it doesn't exist.

As for the original question, ARB, it costs but it's the only way to go for what you are wanting. Have no experience with Yukon's air locker, might be just as good.