• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Spring Eye Rubber Bushing install

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
Trying to insert new Duff rubber bushings in the rear springs with a steel tube inserted inside the eyes?

Tried to freeze the bushings, but they didn't shrink enough.
Do I sawzall cut the steel tubes out?
Is there a trick to get them in?
Or do I just grease 'em up and try to pound them in?

I thougth there was a thread on this a while back, but I can't find it in the search engine.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
The easiest way I found is to use a hack saw. Slip the blade through the eye and cut through the bushing. The it will easily pop out with the use of a socket and hammer. Sawzall would work but might get ugly on you ;D

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
The easiest and probably the only way to cut the sleeve out with a cutting torch. Then, take an air chissel to it.

Good luck if you don't have these two items. I really don't have any good advice for you...........maybe the hacksaw.

OP
OP
DuneBuster

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
How It Got Dun

The old sleeves were in tight!

I wound up using a sawzall with a 6" metal blade and cut thru on one side of the sleeve right where the spring eye wound back on itself.
The sawzall was faster and neater than a hand hacksaw or torch.
Once the sleeve was cut I took an older flat blade medium sacrificial screwdriver and started pounding it in to separate the sleeve from the spring.
After getting it all the way thru, it releived the pressure all around and I could easily hammer the sleeve out of the spring eye.
Screwdriver survived the pounding by a sledgehammer!

With the sleeves out, the Duff bushings got painted and malletted in quicky.

It took me & my 18yr old about 45 min to do both springs and bushings.

Thanks for the help. This is a great community to point dummies like me the right way!!