• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear spring install

6bronco6

I just purchased a set of rear leaf(11leafpack) springs. I need to install them. Can someone give me tips or suggestions? Instructions actually. I have all new u-bolts and bushings.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
6bronco6 said:
I just purchased a set of rear leaf(11leafpack) springs. I need to install them. Can someone give me tips or suggestions? Instructions actually. I have all new u-bolts and bushings.

I found it easiest to install the springs to the frame 1st then with the axle on jack stands install them to the springs. But you can do it either way. Make sure you put some lube on the spring eye bolts and bushings and not tighten them to much. ;D

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Ditto on the install method. When the old springs are removed, install the new springs to the frame and shackles first. Then install the springs to axle last with the U-bolts. The key to an easy install is supporting the frame and being able to lower and raise the rear end as needed to the new springs.

Do not over tighten the spring eye bolts. This will cause suspension bind and sqeaking. Also, use lithium grease on the spring eye bolts. It will make a quiet ride later.

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
I had trouble getting the shackle sleeve out (not the bushing). The trick to that was cutting the sleeve to remove the presure then the sleeve was pounded out. It would have been great to have a press I am sure it would have been easier. I tried to heat it up and beating it out but that took way longer.

OP
OP

6bronco6

I'm thinking of just cutting the old u-bolts off, since i have new ones. any problems with this"? if anyone else can think of any problems or sollutions i might have feel free. the more information for me the better.

68ford

Bronco Guru
personal opinion on ride quality, but my springs worked and rode alot better after i took out that 11 leaf, if you look its a evenly progressive pack,leafs are all about 2 inches shorter on each end, and the 11 is put in after the pack is built, it also has more arch and the other springs pull it down to their arch, it does lower it about .5 in at first and they did settle a little bit more more but it is much nicer.

OP
OP

6bronco6

what is the best tool for taking off the bolts? looks like i will need a pretty long socket to get down to the bolts on the u-bolts

Broncobowsher

Total hack
To get the nuts off and on, I just used a deepwell socket on an impact wrench. I would also recomend removing the lower shock bolts just to give the axle a little more room to drop. Removing the 4 nuts that hold the driveshaft on is also a good idea, don't want to mess up that CV joint while wrestling with the axle. Also watch the brake and vent lines. This is all because the axle will be moving a lot further then it would normally while you are installing the springs.

As for installing, I do one side at a time to get the parts in place. Once all the parts are in the right place, juack up the housing until the frame is bearly touching the jackstands. Then tighten the spring and shock bushings. This keeps the bushings from being stressed while the vehicle is sitting static.

Put everything else back together and carefully check for enough travel in the driveshaft and brake lines etc.