• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear springs

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
I know this has been beat to death :eek: but I thought I get a fresh perspective on this. In my specific case I have a set of custom 13 leaf Nationals that might be 4" lift springs. My rear weight is #2500lbs empty. Empty my axel to frame measurement is 10". Problem I have is when I get loaded up my rears a dragen :-[ . Even installing the wench up front doesn't help much. What I need is about 2" of additional lift.

Problem is how to compair my HD springs to someone elses spring. Just because its advertized 5.5" doesn't mean with the weight of my rig I will get 5.5", it could just give me what I have now or more-less ?:?

Anyone have a heavy lifted rig that could measure rear weight and frame to axel distance. That would be :cool: ;D . Let me know what springs your running.

Thanks, Cary

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Slap some spring rockers in under your leafs and keep your rig loaded. That should get you two more inches and way more flex. It's a win win. ;D

OP
OP
C

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Ya that is a option but one that I don't want to do . I have more flex than I know what to do with. Extreme flex also isn't neccessary a good thing ;) . In fact I would like to install some Currie rock arms to help with controling the flex I have now if I could just figger out how to fit them in with all the other stuff.

Cary

RT

Bronco Guru
How involved do you want to get ?? Just adding leafs will handle your load but kill your ride empty.

I used Firestone air bags in my pickup and found it to be the best of both worlds . Not to sure how well they stretch if your wheeling much loaded. I wheeled with them , but I doubt I had as much flex as you have.

Figureing how to mount them , and maybe useing limiting straps to keep from tearing them sounds like a lot of work , but it sounds like you need something
that only works part time or removeable. Might be worth it for you. Good luck.

P.S. if you get something worked out let us know. I'm thinking of doing something like this myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Thanks for the idea but there would be no room on my rig for air bags. I am looking to strap both diffs now as it is, plus strap the front axel ends.
I belive if someone will measure there 5.5" spring clearence and know the weight of the rear I will hopefully just be able to get new springs and sell these.

Cary

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't feel too bad, you are not alone.
I am a bit rear heavy (haven't weighed it yet) and I have the saggy rear as well. Worn 10 leaf nationals still don't hold up even after placing 2" block under them.
I don't consider rockers to be a good solution, with soft springs about all they will accomplish is let the axle shift out from under you when you have a side load on it (side hill or a turn on a city street).
What I really need are a different set of springs. I am considering Alcans.
Another possibility that I haven't fully researched is an airbag in the rear. NOT the air lift/helper/overload/lowrider thing, and not mounted in the conventional position. I am considering placing one over the pumpkin. It would keep the rear up, not bothered by articulation, could be used for compinsating for different loads. The problem is that it places more stress on the axle housing. I am already welding up cracks in the 9" housing a couple times a year.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
OK, I've been toying with this idea and recently saw something done with a coil spring on top of the diff housing (in the center of the axle) to increase the load capacity of the rear suspension while not effecting the articulation. My idea revolved around using the firestone air bag instead so that the bag PSI can be changed to accomadate the load. I haven't looked at what travel bag would be needed and weather there is room to fit it under the floor.

Just a thought!

OP
OP
C

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Could someone please get a tape out and measure?? I would think most guys would know what their Bronco weight is??? :eek:

Cary

Last edited:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
With the top on and all the crap in the back my rear weight was right around 2200 lbs. I bought a set of Alcans for it and it really helped. The only thing is now I don't run a hard top anymore so I am going to remove a leaf out of it.

There is also the option of running F-150 springs and a shackle flip which will get you 5.5" of lift. There's a couple sites on it too.

RT

Bronco Guru
If you run a Air bag On the center of the axle to take up the weight , I think it will sway badly on corners. A lot of weight will shift to one side onto one leaf spring , and down she'll go.

Broncobowsher, You are right about it being stessfull putting extra weight on the center of the axle.

It would definitely give your axle an unwanted smile. :)

Any extra weight handling device should be kept as close to the outside as possable.

Big Nuf

Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I have WH 5.5 lift 11 packs in the rear. From the bottom of the frame to the top of the axle tube is 12.5". That is with the top on, 33" spare tire. I don't have my bsck seat in or my tool box (75 to 100 lbs). The rear drops about 1/2" fully loaded.

It sounds like you need some new springs. I love my WH springs. Not sure who makes them, but they have GREAT flex, don't sag too much when loaded, and handle pretty good on the street.

OP
OP
C

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Thanks for the info, if you ever weigh your rig please let me know as my Bronco probably weighs 3-400 lbs more in the rear than yours. If ya find out the weight and if it is a lot lighter, you could add something to equal the weight of mine and then measure. That would really help.

I know this is a hassell but its the best way for me to make a choice. :-[

Cary