• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear tire rubbing 30" tires, uncut?????????

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
One of my rear tires is rubbing on the front side of the wheel arch, right at the bottom. It happens on a tight right turn as it leans to the left, or under hard straight acceleration. I'm guessing my shackles are not moving as they should, but I'd like to hear of anything else I should be looking for.

1" body lift, 30 x 9.5 tires, broncodesign un-cut tub, stock springs.
Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What wheels? Got pics?
A 31" tire should fit fine on an uncut, given the proper wheel width and/or offset. Especially with a 1" lift.

It only does it on one side? Can you tell just how much difference between the two sides? Maybe the body is off slightly and can be moved enough to clear.

I don't think shackle movement or lack thereof is going to create a situation where this occurs. At least not that I can think of off hand.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
What wheels? Got pics?
A 31" tire should fit fine on an uncut, given the proper wheel width and/or offset. Especially with a 1" lift.

It only does it on one side? Can you tell just how much difference between the two sides? Maybe the body is off slightly and can be moved enough to clear.

I don't think shackle movement or lack thereof is going to create a situation where this occurs. At least not that I can think of off hand.

Good luck.

Paul

Stock steel 6"(?) wheels The other side has an extra 3/8" it's a BroncoDesign tub, I'm sure they are off a tad, the body was checked 3x's square & straight.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You may also be suffering from one of the common variances on EB's as well, and that's where some axles are farther forward in relation to the body than others. Hence why some 33's rub there even on lifted and cut trucks, while others have plenty of clearance.
Hard to track that though, since there is so much potential variation in where people put their flares. But it happens a lot.

So much so in fact, that there are many discussions here of moving the rear axle back 1/2 to 1" or so.

That said, yours is obviously off by a bit to be 3/8" farther to one side than the other. I would loosen all 8 body bolts and see if you can shift it slightly to that side. If all you need is a tiny bit, you might have it there.

crossing fingers.

Paul

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
You may also be suffering from one of the common variances on EB's as well, and that's where some axles are farther forward in relation to the body than others. Hence why some 33's rub there even on lifted and cut trucks, while others have plenty of clearance.
Hard to track that though, since there is so much potential variation in where people put their flares. But it happens a lot.

So much so in fact, that there are many discussions here of moving the rear axle back 1/2 to 1" or so.

That said, yours is obviously off by a bit to be 3/8" farther to one side than the other. I would loosen all 8 body bolts and see if you can shift it slightly to that side. If all you need is a tiny bit, you might have it there.

crossing fingers.

Paul

I need to measure body panel accuracy first. The inner core, and front and rear seem square....

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Move the rear axle 1" back. I did and only have slight rubbing when the rear is really crossed up and compressed. But I do have 3 1/2" springs, 1" body lift and 34's. I think moving the axle will go a long ways to get you clearance.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I need to measure body panel accuracy first. The inner core, and front and rear seem square....

I'm not talking about square. Just talking about the body being shifted over slightly from center on the frame. There is some leeway here (usually) so it might just be a simple matter of pushing it the other way.

Definitely take some measurements here and there of course. Might be surprising what you find with the chassis!

Paul

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Check and make sure your center pin in your leaf spring is in place. I've seen the pin shear off and cause all kinds of problems.

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
I just got these put on mine and have no problem with rubbing. They are BFG KM2 30x9.50x15.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 44