• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear View Camera Monitor Mounting Options

RonJones

Contributor
I’m in the process of rewiring my 1973 EB, and thought It’d be useful to have a rear view camera, having gotten spoilt on a couple of newer vehicles. I plan on mounting the camera on a fabbed bracket bolted to the bumper mounted rear spare tire lugs, peeking thru the wheel spokes. I thought of getting a clip-on monitor to mount on the visor, but thought a monitor mounted to the cage might work, too. Has anybody worked through these issues?

Bferrari

I ended up using a double din stereo that had the rear view camera option with it. Love it! I use it all the time, especially parking in my garage and am able to back up to the same spot each time. I am running plate bumpers and mounted the camera to the bottom of the bumper. Works well and no complaints so far.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why not do the display in the mirror glass? https://www.amazon.com/BOSCAM-Waterproof-Rearview-Assistance-Installation/dp/B0794Y3WXC
Gentex is the brand used by most OEMs

I followed the link and was amazed (amazoned?) at the price! $109! How can they do that so affordably was my thought. Then I searched Ebuy and was blown away! As cheap as $30! Of course, cheap is probably the operative word.
Q for an A - Does anyone use of a GPS and back up camera system that uses the same monitor?

OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor
So your Bronco has some non-stock parts on it... To give you relevant advice, we need to know how your truck is built, and even see what's on the back of it. Put ALL its details into your signature, and post several pics of it. This link explains how to post pics free:

I posted a few photos in the gallery, but as this is very much a work in progress, I’m not sure how helpful this will be.

OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor
ended up using a double din stereo that had the rear view camera option with it. Love it! I use it all the time, especially parking in my garage and am able to back up to the same spot each time. I am running plate bumpers and mounted the camera to the bottom of the bumper. Works well and no complaints so far.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough room in the panel for even a single DIN - I have a single DIN in a Tuffy console box:

Attachments

• B6E135CE-DABB-46E9-91A0-2567591692B0.jpg
    B6E135CE-DABB-46E9-91A0-2567591692B0.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 159

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I posted a few photos in the gallery...
Is it going to have a top, or just the bare cage? The higher the camera is placed, the more-useful it will be. How do you feel about putting it near the t/g handle like all modern trucks? Or on the liftgate like many modern SUVs? The tire carrier isn't quite as useful because you might want to drive with the spare stowed to the side, or the whole swingaway removed. If there will never be a top, then a small bracket welded to the cage would be a good location, and allow you to aim the camera during fabrication of the bracket.

OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor
I’m going to put the top on eventually. I’m trying to get away from drilling holes in the tail or liftgate (I must have welded up altogether 40 holes in various places from the previous owner prior to paint), that’s why I liked the wheel lug mount. In the 20 yrs. I’ve owned the EB, I’ve always had the spare on, so I’d probably get a rash or something if I took the spare mount off. There might be a way to mount the camera to the liftgate inside and point it thru the window without drilling new holes, though.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Anyone done a front camera under a crawler rig ? Considering on my dedicated off road built.

ericwilkison

Loc.
Portland
I installed this mirror/monitor in my motorhome a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. It's not expensive, but works very well. The motorhome did not have a center mirror because there is no rear window, so I use the video as the center mirror. It has two inputs, so I have one connected to a camera pointed strait back to see over what I'm towing. The second camera points down at the ground has has the guide lines for backing up. I also like this one because it's big, give you a good detailed view. You can build a very nice funcunal system using inexpensive parts.

I agree, mount the camera as high as you can, It will give you the best view.

https://www.amazon.com/PONPY-Monito...=backup+mirror+monitor&qid=1579193857&sr=8-20

OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor
The challenge will be routing the cables which are RCA

The wiring for the dome light and wipers go through the windshield and you can barely squeeze more wires in there.

I think you’re right, it would tough to get the stock harness including dome light, as well as RCA cable, mirror power, video trigger and temp leads through those holes. Plus, I want to send a wire for heated windshield wiper blades through there, too.

One thing came up; the Painless? wiper motor connector didn’t appear to match either the old or NOS wiper motor harness I bought. I found my old wiper motor and it turns out the NOS connector I’m holding next to the Painless one is the Wiper Motor connector. The new motor I have uses Faston terminals.

So, it looks like I’ll be making a new wiper harness. I have some left over Mil-Spec Tefzel wire from another project, which has smaller diameter insulation, so I’ll make up a new narrower (and more flexible) harness using Molex connectors. Despite my aversion to making new holes, I went ahead and mimicked the original windshield frame holes on the Pax side. I wanted to coat the inside of the windshield frame with KBS Cavity Coater, and these access holes will make that much easier.

Attachments

• 941D5BF8-DFC1-4507-9E27-4943F2C616E1.jpeg
    941D5BF8-DFC1-4507-9E27-4943F2C616E1.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 42
  • A1029480-911A-4843-BCE9-69CD3E717AAB.jpeg
    A1029480-911A-4843-BCE9-69CD3E717AAB.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor
Anyone done a front camera under a crawler rig ? Considering on my dedicated off road built.

I’ve only seen temporary cameras for recording purposes, but a carefully placed wide angle camera that shows front wheels and terrain might help solo crawling without a spotter.

BCH BRCO

I tried the clamp on rear view mirror monitor but sent it back to Amazon because it vibrated way to much. Probably will try one that I can mount to the instrument panel.