• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear view mirrors, years and locations please. Thank you!

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

I'm making a template for a company that makes windshield heat shields.

The rear view mirror on 66 originally was mounted to the windshield frame but I've seen some that were glued on the windshield.

What years were the rear view mirrors on the frame versus glued on the glass?

For those glued on, how many inches from the top of the glass were the mirrors glued/mounted at?

Also, were the glued on rear view mirrors centered on the glass?

Thank you!
Chris

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Best wait until you have four or five confirmed measurements, as they may have changed, or at least varied by the installer. Probably didn't use much of a jig to make sure they were all the same.
And then PO's such as myself didn't like where they'd seen the mirror, and mounted it where I thought best.

When I bought my '71 the original had obviously already fallen off a few times (bouncing around in Montana on hunting expeditions) and the first, or second PO had screwed a decent little mirror right to the bottom of the wiper arm cover.
Worked good, but I wanted factory style with day/night option.

You using the company up in Sunnyvale? I've stopped by for a couple of different vehicles over the years.
And speaking of mirror locations, I actually don't always like how they cut their shields. If I remember they tend to leave them larger than the pattern you make for them, and put the mirror location such that the shield pooches up underneath.

If you are particular about how yours fits then, make it exactly how you want, and tell them that the size you're showing is EXACTLY the size you expect.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Paul,
You are correct (I believe) it is for that company in NorCal. I was on their site purchasing a heatshield for my Grandfathers Rav4 and I noticed they didn't offer one for the Broncos. I'll suggest they make to versions, one with the slot centered and one without. I've got their template all traced out and ready to return ship.
Thank you sir and have a good week!
Chris