• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuild 170 I6

colby45

Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop near Denver, CO that would do a rebuild on a 170? I need the one from my Bronco rebuilt. Thanks.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Just try to find a good machine shop with a good reputation. The rest is details unless you are looking for a performance build. It is not rocket sience.

OP
OP
C

colby45

Just try to find a good machine shop with a good reputation. The rest is details unless you are looking for a performance build. It is not rocket sience.

I'm not looking for a performance build. I have no experience doing engine rebuilds, but I'm pretty handy. If I got a rebuild kit and sent the necessary pieces out for machining, could I do it myself?

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I'm not looking for a performance build. I have no experience doing engine rebuilds, but I'm pretty handy. If I got a rebuild kit and sent the necessary pieces out for machining, could I do it myself?

Go for it. The machining is the hard part. Most of the assembly is easy. Just find the right torque specs and sequences for the crank, rods, head, and manifolds. Lube everything well for I itial startup.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Colby-
I would suggest U go to the fordsix site.
Also buy an excellent motor (& vehicle) assembly/mod/machining manual that speaks directly to this "Falcon" (144, 170, 200, 250) motor exclusively ("the Handbook" 10 or 15 bucks). I have a 2.8 like U and have gotten great on-line and written assistance to wrk on it (since '83) from these sources. Now I'm doing what U R w/a 250 (4.1).

OP
OP
C

colby45

Thanks for the tips guys. After looking into everything, I think I'm going to have someone do the rebuild. I don't have anyone around who can help me through this, since it is my first one and I don't feel comfortable relying solely on youtube and manuals to get it done, especially given the amount of money involved. I also don't really have the space to pull the engine and disassemble/reassemble. I know it's the more expensive route, and I would love to learn it, I just don't think it's in the cards right now.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
There's plenty of machine shops in Denver, and there's plenty of guys around there that would probably be more than happy to help you rebuild your engine.

When machine shop 'shopping' call around and ask what they charge. If a shop gives you a price without looking at your engine, keep looking. Find the 'real' shop that tells you they need to see what you have first, if the guy breaks out the micrometers and actually measures bores, journals, and such first you've got a good shop. A REAL machine shop will do what is needed only, they should ask what type of rings you want to use also (it makes a difference on the actual bore diameter and hone size used). I like the old school shops that are piled high with old blocks and piles of parts, those guys are usually the best for quality and they will care about your build more than a high production shop.

Straight sixes are very easy to build and frankly they are kinda hard to screw up, so they are great for a first build. All you really need is a torque wrench and common tools for the build. A cherry picker and engine stand are also needed, but again I bet you could probably 'rent' them from someone in Denver for a case of beer...

bmbm

Rebuild 170

If your 170 is just worn out (mine was) and you are not doing a restoration you might be able to find a good running 200 and just drop it in (what I did). Now they are not as available as they once were but you could do some looking around you might get lucky. The for sale section here might have a 200 someone recently removed for a v8 conversion.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
the 200 wuz in the 'stangs and is more of a "square motor" i.e. can execrate well in any rev., in any gear. 250 (4.1 l) has "a lill more stuff" to it (also in 'stang but not bronk).
At any rate - I still suggest U get the "Handbook" as a non-mechanic. Reason is- it's a great resource on these motors (only hundred pages anyway) learn some interesting history (starting in '60 as a VW bug killer), understand the evolution, have a staged method of approach (just do what U can as U can afford it), choose carbs for specific application (mall crawler?, daily driver?, wheelin?, etc).
"...I don't have anyone around who can help me through this…"
now U do on fordsix.com and with this manuel. Still don't hafta DIY but will be knowledgable enuff to make the right choices 4 ur application (end use). AND that's what ownership and use R all about anyway!
Thanks for stoppin by!
Keep talkin -

OP
OP
C

colby45

I've thought about swapping for a 200. I don't want to get rid of the 170 though as it's the original engine and my '66 is almost completely original and I'd like to keep it that way. I think it adds some coolness to it. Plus like I said I don't have much garage space so storing another engine would be tough as well. I did buy the book from Classic Inlines which is where fordsix.com directs for parts. I'd just like to have someone there to supervise if I was going to do the rebuild myself, as I don't trust just reading out of the book or looking inline (sort of two step verification, two sets of eyes and all). I'm still torn on what to do. I'm a DIY guy and I love to take on projects like that, on the other hand, given my shortage of space it would be tough to do.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
the 170 is a fine engine for this vehicle (a lill Tractor). I've used mine since '83: to get inta job sites w/o a road, for yrs as a daily driver, more recently for 2 decades as 'wrk truck' (skiddin logs to a neighbor's band saw mill, on rd w/a trailer full of green lumber, sno plow). Not many bronk guys in all that time were interested in a 6, so good on ya mate.
Near Denver, in Castle Rock is…hum I 4got now - I'm in Mass. Is it Bronco Hut? Telephone and skip Melissa the clerk who answers. Ask for the shop guys. They may know a reliable automotive machine shop. Also there's several bronk on-line clubs in ur area. Google that, post 2 them, get familiar and you'll have boots on the ground locally to come over, drink yer beer and play w/yer rig...
Alternatively have the shop do the assembly as well as the machining.
What makes U think it needs it?

OP
OP
C

colby45

the 170 is a fine engine for this vehicle (a lill Tractor). I've used mine since '83: to get inta job sites w/o a road, for yrs as a daily driver, more recently for 2 decades as 'wrk truck' (skiddin logs to a neighbor's band saw mill, on rd w/a trailer full of green lumber, sno plow). Not many bronk guys in all that time were interested in a 6, so good on ya mate.
Near Denver, in Castle Rock is…hum I 4got now - I'm in Mass. Is it Bronco Hut? Telephone and skip Melissa the clerk who answers. Ask for the shop guys. They may know a reliable automotive machine shop. Also there's several bronk on-line clubs in ur area. Google that, post 2 them, get familiar and you'll have boots on the ground locally to come over, drink yer beer and play w/yer rig...
Alternatively have the shop do the assembly as well as the machining.
What makes U think it needs it?

Oh I love the straight 6. It's great for four wheeling and cruising around town. My family has had this Bronco since the 70's and I just recently took possession of it, but that 6 has just kept going and going. It used to be a plow truck so it saw some abuse too. I've talked with the Bronco Hut and they use a machine shop in Casper, WY for their engine work. That's a little too far off for me, but I got some recommendations on some other shops around town here. Now it just a matter of gather up some quotes and all that. I've been familiarizing myself with our local Colorado Club since April when I started this whole adventure, and they have been really really helpful so far. My problem is I have no shop/garage to work on things, so it would be way to imposing to ask any of those guys to not only help me work on it, but also see if someone would let me use their space for the rebuild. Anyway, I'll find a shop here in town and have them do the full thing. It's money well spent and it fits with my situation right now. Thanks for all the suggestions!

bmbm

6 rebuild

Not trying to change your mind but another option is find a 200 and drop it off at a machine shop for rebuild. You get to keep driving until time to swap. The machine shop was going to pull your 170 and reinstall anyway plus your Bronco has to be somewhere while the rebuild is happening. Rebuilding a 200 is a way better investment than a 170.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
thanks for ur invite, keep comin back

Not trying to change your mind but another option is find a 200 and drop it off at a machine shop for rebuild. You get to keep driving until time to swap. The machine shop was going to pull your 170 and reinstall anyway plus your Bronco has to be somewhere while the rebuild is happening. Rebuilding a 200 is a way better investment than a 170.

He knows his Falcon engines (144, 170, 200, 250 sm six; 240, 300 big six) but this is about ur interest/wishes. I had the 170 since '87 but am just now switchin 4 my application, U do yours, we do ours…
:cool:
Enjoy, make sure U use an automotive machinist, grab the "Handbook", ck out the fordsix.com site, and go fer broke!

astronot

Loc.
Llano, TX
I ordered the book mentioned above from Classic Inlines. When I tried to call them the number had been disconnected. It's been a couple of weeks and I've heard nothing. Does anyone know anything about these folks?:(

OP
OP
C

colby45

Yeah I don't really have space to store an extra engine. It's not so much about best investment more than keeping with the originality of the truck. The chances of it leaving my possession (until it possibly gets passed to my, currently non-existent, offspring) are basically nil. I'm definitely going to stick with the 170 for the rebuild however that gets done.

I ordered the book mentioned above from Classic Inlines. When I tried to call them the number had been disconnected. It's been a couple of weeks and I've heard nothing. Does anyone know anything about these folks?:(

I ordered mine a couple weeks back and haven't received it. This makes me worry as I haven't heard much either and I was hoping it would just show up in my mailbox. I'll try to email them and let you know if I hear back.

astronot

Loc.
Llano, TX
I did a little more checking and the Fordsix website says the owner died. Apparently someone is still working at filling orders. I sent them an email and am waiting to hear back. I think we'll get our manuals, just not sure when. I'll let you know what I hear, too.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
give "Does10s" (his on-line handle @ ford6), try at nocncr@msn.com his regular email or the author at falconperformance.sundog.net. I believe the last one may not work cuz the Schjeldahl brothers (Dennis & David) are using distributers to ease their sales load to concentrate on periodic updates to the new additions. However you choose it's worth the effort to track down a copy. Classic Inlines is in the reorganizing phase due to the loss of owner. STILL - go to the CI site to peruse their extensive on-line info about how the engine works, tuning, it's history, modin the motor for different applications, etc.