• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuild column or upgrade to tilt?

jimmy18thing

The title says it. In my 73 I noticed slight play in the steering wheel and a click. Found that the adapter for my grant steering wheel had stripped somehow, but then found copper shavings inside. One of the contacts for the horn wore completely off and I will need to replace at least the turn signal switch as well as the adapter kit for the steering wheel. I am not sure on the status of the bearings and or anything else in the column? Is there anything I should be looking for? I have wanted to upgrade to a tilt column, like the direct fit one that Wildhorses sells. The new column would be great, but my frugal self says to rebuild. What are your thoughts?

swmrdrn

My was a similar situation and when I got it on the bench all the ugly came to light. In the end I took the advice of the guys at wild hourses and replaced the entire column and wheel adapter. It wasn’t worth the effort to save. The new one is great. You will be surprised at how much nicer it is. I went with an ididit in raw steal and just sprayed it with a 2k clear coat for a rattle can. That took 10 minutes and looks like brushed steal.