• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuild Help

gledhillt

Okay, guys, I need some help with gear ratios.
I have a 74 with a 302 w/rv cam, and a c4 auto.
My question is in your opinion what gear ratio will work the best with 35" tires?
I want to keep it streetable, but hit the trails on the weekend.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i'd go with a 4:30 package. if you want a bit more bottom end and are willing to turn the extra rpm on the hwy you could go with a 4:56.
a 4:11/10 package is very doable as well but still slightly boggy on the bottom end.
don't forget you will be putting a new carrier in the front end, so be prepared for that expense when you do this.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 I think the 4.30's would be a good comprimse. Not saying that 4.10's wouldnt work but the less stress you put on the tranny the better. Higher gears and big tires will put a lot of stress on the tranny. Also what are your normal hiway speeds? if below 65mph then 4.56's might be a better choice.