• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilding rear axle. What do I need?

OB Bronco

Loc.
Orange Beach
I'm going to rebuild my rear axle and want to upgrade. I want to go with 31 spline axles, 4:10 gears and either trutrac or a soft locker. I will be running Bfg Mud 35" on 10" wide rims. That makes them 33.5" actual height, C4 and stock motor. (For Now!) most of the time will be spent on the road but as the new wears off I will off road it more. I live at the beach and we have lots of sand and just north lots of slippery red clay and mud. I don't want to wish I had went with a locker later. But, I also don't want to hate it on the road if the locker is over the top. Any input would be appreciated. Also, in my questions I'm asking manufactures and if the sell different grades/qualities what to buy.

Questions:

(1) What axles to buy?
(2) What gears to buy?
(3) What soft locker or posi?
(4) If locker, Detroit Soft Locker or Yukon?
(5) Rebuild kit?

Thanks,
Wade

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
First thing you have to do is supply answers.
What rear brakes do you have now. Drum size and width of brake shoes. What diameter axle retainer bolts. What year axle housing do you have. Are you planning to swap to disc brakes. This needs to be answered so you can buy the right axles and bearings. Then you can figure out the guts.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
1) I purchased Currie axles years ago. Axle's are available through most of the vendors as well.

2) I purchased "Motive" ring and pinion. Had several recommendations on them. Also buy the Install and/or rebuild kit to go with them. I got my kits at JBG. If you run about 4:11 or higher you may have clearance problems on the case but not sure. I know thats the case with some aftermarket cases. I also had two bad cases involving carrier bearing wear (wich is abit unusual but happens)

3) 4) Can't comment on the soft locker but I kept my Trac-lok and just having new clutches installed.

5) Yes as mentioned in #2

If your mostly street "I" would stay with a limited slip/trac-lok but others don't mind lockers and get used to them.

You will have to do your front axle R&P as well and a new carrier is needed here for the larger gear. I'm doing the Aussie Locker in front so stayed with the LS in the rear.
Regardless, your spending some coin here.

OP
OP
OB Bronco

OB Bronco

Loc.
Orange Beach
That's why I want to see what all I needed. I'm trying to get a budget together so that I can start putting the money away. I will re-gear the dana 44 and install a trutrac during the front axle rebuild.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
(1) I used the JBG HD axles as I was reusing the stock 28 spline Traclok. I ended up having to replace the traclok and would have gone 31 spline had I known. Depending on location I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the other vendors. The product is likely the same. Shipping was the final determining factor on mine.

(2) I used the Motive premium gears. They are also available rebranded from Strange who also offers US Gear sets. I called and spoke with them when gathering parts for my build and they are the only 2 manufacturers they use.

(3) I stayed with the Traclok. I ended up having to replace my factory one but went with one of the billet ones from summit. Again I would have gone 31 spline had I know my factory one was bad. I am running 33's for now but will likely be ditching some of my lift and going to 31's. I am not sure that a traclok will hold up well long term with 35's.

(5) I pieced my kit together as I already had a couple of the bearings and shims. Summit carries a selection of kits and Ratech was one brand that seemed to have all high quality components. Also look into their(Ratech) crush sleeve eliminator. It is a nice setup and considerably cheaper than many of the other brands.