• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilding rear drums & components. Brand recommendations?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Is the quality of the brands sold at the parts houses on rear drum components up to par. I don't recognize any of the brands besides Wagner.

I'll be replacing the self-adjusters, wheel cylinders, pads and hardware/springs.

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
I do t think there is much difference in the hardware quality, but I saw a wide range in prices for the drums. I got mine at advance auto for about $30.00 apiece. The hardware is so cheap, you can basically replace it with each shoe change.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I just rebuilt the rear drums on the 70 last year because an axle bearing failed.
I faced the question "should I fix it or replace it?"
after fixing it I totaled all the cost and found out that for a couple $100 more, I could of installed rear disc. I needed it done quick so I just fixed it. I did notice the parts kits were foreign made.
And when getting wheel cylinders from the parts store, bring in your old one to match the new one. Too many times they get it wrong through the applications list.

ryansbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The place of bronco
if you have time look into rock auto
they have discount codes on line
I try to use wagner or raybestos. I've never had any issues with either brand.