• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilt 435 Q's

jmaples

Loc.
SEATTLE,
I have been in the middle of installing the WH 203-20 combo in my bronco. Since I was pulling everything out, I went ahead and replace the clutch and had my 435 rebuilt. Today I started the truck after putting fluid in the 3 gear boxes left the hubs unlocked and put the front end in Hi. It is difficult to get the 435 into gear. i haven't drivven it yet, and I called the tranny shop and he told me it was normal for it to be rough until the gears got hot and loosened everything up. Does anyone who has rebuilt there tranny found similiar??? I'll be driving it tomorrow.

OP
OP
J

jmaples

Loc.
SEATTLE,
435 to 203

So when everything was finished with this install I could barely get into 1st, I could bang it into 2nd, bang it into 3rd and it would go into 4th. Pulled the cover and you could engage all the gears by hand, start the engine or put the conver on and problems. The tranny shop blew me off on Friday but today I get a call from them and they said the output shaft was 1/8 to long and it was causing the tranny to bind. They shaved a bit of the shaft off and put it back together. I never got a call from them so I was never able to call Wildhorses or Advance adapters. I just got shafted by someone, I'm guessing the tranny shop since they never called me and now it's fixed and I get to pay the bill. I did let WH know about this but they have never heard of such a problem and the output is a machined part. I'm guessing in the long run of this project it would of been cheaper and easier to get the STAK 3 speed. The tranny shop in question is DUKE's tranny in Burien WA FYI.

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
This may be kind of a long shot but I have heard of problems when the incorrect bolt is installed in one of the upper holes from the adapter to the tranny. If the bolt is too long it causes problems with first gear. When I installed the NP435 in my Bronco a couple of people mentioned this and said they had problems with their install because of it. Like I said, a long shot but might be what was causing the problem.

Walt

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I think the bolt you mentioned is the lower right (pass side). It's like 1/4" too long when using the older AA adapter. Since you are using a WH 203/20 kit it should be a normal bolt, mine was. I haven't driven it yet but the bolt does clear the gears, I checked.

OP
OP
J

jmaples

Loc.
SEATTLE,

It turns out that the new output shaft was 1/8 inch to long that was supplied in the kit. I did the install, the tranny shop only rebuilt my 435 and installed the new output shaft for me. Everything from the 203 back was fine, I for sure thought it was something the tranny guys did. So they took everything apart today and found the WH supplied output was to long, took off what was needed and reinstalled. The only problem was they never called me before they removed the metal from the output so when I talked to WH they of course can't do anything. I did make them aware of the claim so they can check the rest of there kits to verify correct output shaft length. It was a little frustrating and a hit to the pocketbook I didn't care to have. Oh well at least I'll have some good low gears.