• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilt C4 Transsmission

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How long can a freshly built C4 sit on the shelf before being installed without risking any problems? Is this even an issue?

Draglink

Loc.
Gloucester, VA
Not even close to a tranny guy, but I had bought a rebuilt c4 that wasnt acting right, my tranny guy said it was probably rebuilt, then sat for a while, some of the clutches are actually made out of a paper material, and can dry out????Somebody here has got to know if thats right.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
It depends on...
If it was properly prepped and the correct lubricants were used during assembly.
If the conditions where it is stored are humid or dry.
Dust and dirt are kept out.
proper care was taken while installing and filling it.

I have seen them sit for over 4 years and not have a problem when run for the first time.

The paper clutches wont dry out if they are soaked in ATF before installation.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replys. The reason I was asking is I dropped off a C4(out of a 74 Bronco) that I had bought to replace the one that is in there now to a very reputable builder today. He is doing a build that he said would stand behind my 393. When dropping it off he told me that unless he did the install or I brought the rig back to him to test drive within a couple of weeks from the time he did the build that he wouldn't warranty it. I guess I can understand that. I decided tonight to just go ahead and let him do the install.