• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rebuilt t case shifting problem

bobscott

I had my transfer case rebuilt and it won't shift. The bottom shift rail will move with a lot of force but the top won't budge. The drive shafts are not connected and the tranny is in netural. I tried spinning the out put shaft while trying to shift and it didn't matter. I popped the cap off the top denten and it will move easy. I notice the spring is right at the top where the cap goes in. Is this how long the spring should be? I am wondering if the springs are too long and binding. Anything else it could be?

Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sometimes people shim the springs with small washers or something and it compresses the spring too much to allow the ball to move the .180" out of the rail pocket. Pull the spring and ball out with a magnet and see if something else is in there.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Are you using the stock t-shifter or twin sticks?

While you're taking a look at what all may be down inside the detent holes other than the spring and ball, compare the detent springs. One should be maybe a little longer than the other, and wound with heavier wire. Per the service manual, that heavier spring should go in the front drive (driver's side shift rail).