• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilt transfer case

Kgbronco

Has anyone had any experience with the bronco vendors rebuilt transfer cases? I am just going back with the D20 J pattern for ease of installment, plus the truck has been in 4 wheel drive about 4 times in 10 years. Toms bronco is the lowest cost for my location. I talked to a couple local guys and they want several hundred dollars more to rebuild mine then I can buy get one from the vendors including core and shipping.
Thanks

OP
OP
K

Kgbronco

I haven't looked too deep into but it has been popping out of gear from time to time. The last time it did I put it back in and i could feel it was in a bind when I took off and would pop out within 10'. I could not hold it in 2wheel but I could hold in four wheel and drove it have ever so gently. When I got home there was a oil spot 2" diameter on the floor as soon as I got out of it. I put a pan under it and walked away. Local guy I have used on other stuff told me $850-$1100 to rebuild if my case was good

Joe473

I would pull the inspection cover and get an idea of what is really needed. Check for shift fork wear and other issues. To me the removal and install is almost as much work as the rebuild. If you supply parts and pull it out $300-400 is a fair price for professional rebuild of yours.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check the end play at the rear transfer case yolk. Leaking a puddle of oil is very unusual. The transfer case usually just drips a bit. Putting pressure on the shifter to keep it in gear is a very bad thing. Causes excessive wear on the shifter forks inside.

Jaxgtc

My T-case has been wet for quite some time and appears to have some leaking. I purchase a seal kit from one of the Bronco vendors a while back, but haven't fooled with it. How hard is it to pull it and redo the seals and gaskets? I have never done it, but I have a Chilton book.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I've done mine and it was pretty easy. With all the knowledge on this site ,and a good repair manual, it's pretty easy. Just make sure to inspected all the parts for wear or broken pieces. Like said above open the inspection plate on the side, to see if anything is broken.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
$850-$1100 is an insane price to pay. They either don't want to do it, or have never done one before....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There was a thread on this site about a year ago on how to properly seal up the transfer case. Its really worth a search and a good read before you dig into the thing.