• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilt transmission won't shift right

Bronc937

This is long winded so I apologize.....

I'm just finishing the build on my '77, with a C4, and during test drives it won't shift up into third. I thought it was the kickdown linkage so I disconnected it. No up shift. Then I checked to make sure I was making good vacuum at the manifold for the modulator and good pull. Also checked fluid level too.

Here's the funny part... It won't shift up in drive but when I put the lever in "2", it shifts up to third. What the (bleep)!!!

I figured it was probably the valve body so I took it back to the shop that rebuilt the whole transmission and the mechanic said it checked out fine and suspects I have the kickdown linkage set up wrong. He cited that partial pressure on it causes a malfunction.

Today I put it back together and still the same problem. I'm dying to drive this thing. Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is a valve and pin under the modulator. The valve may be installed backwards.

OP
OP
Bronc937

Bronc937

I saw that mentioned in a mustang forum. Do I just pull the modulator and turn the pin around? Is there a certain way it should look?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I saw that mentioned in a mustang forum. Do I just pull the modulator and turn the pin around? Is there a certain way it should look?

Remove the modulator. The pin may stick in the modulator. The valve is the thing that needs to be in a specific way. It should go in like this. Pin is between valve and modulator. Be prepared for some fluid to run out.

Attachments

• IMGP0196.jpg
    IMGP0196.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Bronc937

Bronc937

Do think would also cause it shift into third when it shows in second? I appreciate your help viper. I knew you'd see this post.