• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Red? Blue? Yellow? Optimas

70bronco

Loc.
Kingsburg, CA
Now that my WildChild battery box is on the way, which Optima batteries should I be looking to purchase? Red? Blue? Yellow? I plan on running a winch in the near future so which is the better choice?

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
I have a red one. I think red or yellow will work just fine.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
I just started running the blue top for a few reasons. One is because my local Costco only carries red and blue-and I love their return policy :) I just returned my red top after a year, and they gave me a 100% cash refund! Plus, after looking at the specs, I couldn't really see a huge difference bewteen the yellow deep cycle and the blue. I went with deep cycle this time because my truck sits for extended periods of time, so I need the chargeability of a deep cycle.

You might want to grab a copy of this months Peterson's. They did a comparo of a bunch of deep cycles including the blue top.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
red have more cold crank... or so I am told, but if yer do'n winch'n the BEST set up is supposed to be 1 red and one blue... or so I hear.

Red is plain old car bat, and blue zand yellow are deep cycle. I don't nor have I ever owned an optima, but have checked into em a-lil ;)

:cool:

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Do a search on Optima. One of the board members wrote a good article on why not to use a Yellow unless you plan on deep discharges often. The Red seems to be the best all around choice.

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I use red...no complaints at all, cranks up much faster than my old sears battery did. I hope to go duals eventually with the cranking one a red.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I have been through 3 red tops in 4 yrs w/ my stang. Not sure whats up.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
What Costco's are you finding the Optima's at! I have been searching mine high and low, and can't find 'em! I also checked their website and can't find anything!

The cheapest place I have found Optima's is at TNA Sports

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
From Optima

Here is what Optima says for their Yellow Top Batteries.

The OPTIMA Yellow Top™ Deep Cycle Battery should be used in the following cases:

Starting applications in high-accessory vehicles/High Cycling Applications. Vehicles with computers, extra radios, electronic components, lights, winches, etc. will create excessive amperage drain that can damage a starting battery. Recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top to provide fast recharging and longer life due to its' ability to cycle over 300 times.

Starting applications with low amperage draws. If your customer has a vehicle that sits unused for long periods of time, either OPTIMA will provide longer life due to reduced corrosion and sulfation. However, if the vehicle has an alarm, computer, or other low amperage drain, the Yellow Top will guard against deep cycling damage that can occur over long periods of time.

To increase Reserve Capacity or Run Time. You must first identify how long the customer needs to use the battery to run a vehicle, accessory, or motor before without recharging. Each OPTIMA Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery is rated at 120 minutes of Reserve Capacity at a 25 Amp draw. If your customer is planning on using their OTPIMA in a trolling motor that pulls 50 Amps, they will only get 60 minutes of run time. If they require more run time you need to install multiple batteries in parallel. It is important to understand what the customer expects in order to provide them with the correct OPTIMA solution.

Remember:
Dark Gray Case means Starting TechnologyLight Gray Case means Deep Cycle Technology

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Here is what Optima says for their Red Top Batteries.

SLI Batteries
In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top™ Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.
Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Red Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Red Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Here is what Optima says for their Blue Top Batteries.

The OPTIMA Blue Top™ battery is ideal for all types of power boats, sail boats, and RV applications.
High Power
OPTIMA batteries provide high power output that is faster and longer than conventional batteries. The result is greater cranking ability and less capacity reduction at high current loads and greater staying power -- up to 50% longer cycle life than conventional deep cycle flooded batteries.

Maintenance Free -- Completely sealed for life
OPTIMA batteries are safer and cleaner for people, equipment and the environment. Best of all, you can leave the battery in the boat all year round.

Unequaled Vibration Resistance
Vibration is a primary killer of marine batteries. The OPTIMA sealed design and tightly wound SPIRALCELL Technology resists jarring andvibration and eliminates plate shedding. The OPTIMA battery survives the continuous SAE 5G vibration test for an average of 1450 hours, while thetraditional flooded flat plat design failed after only 100 hours, making the OPTIMA 15 times more resistant to vibration. So your OPTIMA battery will be able to take the brutal pounding of the rough seas while supplying you with the power you need to get through the storm.

Low Self-discharge Rate
The OPTIMA battery has a much lower self-discharge rate than other conventional batteries. Depending on the storage temperature, the OPTIMAbattery can sit for 8 to 12 months without recharge -- 100 days longer than most batteries -- a helpful feature for those boats that are put away for many long, winter months.

Universal Size, Fit and Use
The OPTIMA battery fits a wide variety of boats and equipment, and can be mounted in virtually any orientation.

Compatible with most Charging Systems
Unlike gel cells, OPTIMA batteries do not require special charging equipment. The fast recharge cycle will get you back on the water while others are still waiting at the dock.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
My Costco is in Stockton, CA. You may want to reference that store when you talk to your local Costco and find out whats up! ;)

sdever98

I called Optima a while back and asked them what battery I should run in my 4x4. They told me the yellow top is best suited for the electrical needs of a 4x4.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Everyone should take a second and check out their website. They mention a yellow top, which has a different colored casing. It is a cranking, deep-cycle. Not like the regular deep-cycle. Might be the one that we are all looking for.

MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
This is what the website suggests for our rigs.

FORD Pickup Trucks, Vans, Minivans or Sport Utilities
F-Series (Pickup, Bronco, Excursion, Expedition)
1979-1967 All
Part#..............CCA...........Model Name......Group Size
3478DT...........750...............OPTIMA............34DTO
DT34/78..........800...............OPTIMA............34DTO
DT75................720..............OPTIMA.............75DTO

From what I have learned on the site, the 750CCA ones are the yellow tops, and the 800CCA's are the red tops. The only difference in the two is that the yellows can be drawn all the way down often and not get too beat up, and the red tops give you 50 more cold cranking amps.

That is the only diff I can tell.

I may call here soon, but if someone beats me to it, please post here!

MnkyBiz

usahockey

Check to see if you have an Interstate (factory) battery store in you area. That's who makes Optima. They sell the blemished batteries cheap and mine came with the full waranty. I bought my red top about 3 years ago still in the plastic for about $50 and it still works great. Just an idea for all the other broke Bronco owners out there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another bit of Optima trivia, the Blue top is available in both flavors. Regular starting, AND deep-cycle. At least it was up until a couple of years ago. I am using the Blue top starting versions in my trucks though I'm going to try the deep-cycles next. Just because.
I picked the Blue Top Marine Starting battery because I wanted the slightly greater CCA of the starting type, but with the Marine terminal configuration to make it easier to attach additional doo-dads to the threaded terminals.
They rate them (or did at the time) at 1000 "marine cranking amps" which is different from "cold cranking amps" in the method of rating. Cold (CCA) is measured at 0° F and marine (MCA or just CA) is measured at 32° F which is why the same battery gets a higher number.
And it IS the same battery as the Red Top inside. The Blue Top deep-cycle version is the same as a Yellow Top inside. Only diff is the terminals and maybe some minor case variations or whatever you have to do to get it Marine certified if that's an issue.
Again, this info is a couple of years old so they may have changed things in that time. I know they changed part numbers on all of them a few years ago, but don't know if anything else accompanied those changes.

Paul