• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Redi sleeve/speedi sleeve for rear axle shaft

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Has anyone done this?
How did you get if on? Used a lenght of pipe I'm guessing?
Bought at NAPA ?

I've used them on pinions before but never an axle shaft. Think I paid liek $45 for the last one.

The troublesom leak in my 9 is back. I noticed the axle had a groove and was pitted when I rebuild the 9 and replace the housing ends. I cleaned it up and it's been good (so I thought) for almost 2 years. It's odd the leak just started. Maybe it's the cold weather (well cold to us in AR) we had lately causing the seal to shrink or not grip as tight? Everything was fine till I drove it in the snow and cold the other day (low teens when driving, single didgits the night before)

The seal was National Brand. Appears to be single lipped.

Tim

Toddpole

Contributor
I put a speedi-sleeve on one of my rear axles a couple of years ago. I don't recall how I installed it. Probably used a piece of tubing or pipe. Seemed to slow the leak quite a bit. I was also told to put some RTV around the outside of the seal (the metal ring that presses into the axle housing). Not sure which did the most good. Slowed the leak considerably but didn't stop it. I had actually forgotten I had installed it until I snapped a shaft a couple of weeks ago. Time to upgrade. :D

nrramse

I've got them on both rear axles - they do a good job fixing leaks. I think I put a thin layer of RTV on the axle shaft before putting them on. I also heated them in some boiling water before driving them down with a pipe. ToddPole's idea to put a little RTV around the axle seal is a good one too.

Newell

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I was also told to put some RTV around the outside of the seal (the metal ring that presses into the axle housing). Not sure which did the most good.

Yes I always use RTV.

I've got them on both rear axles - they do a good job fixing leaks. I think I put a thin layer of RTV on the axle shaft before putting them on. I also heated them in some boiling water before driving them down with a pipe.

I picked up a double lipped seal today at NAPA and it sure seems to fit tighter than the other seal did. I worked on cleaning everything up this afternoon. Gear oil is super thick at 40 degrees. Add in some brake dust and it's nasty stuff. Brake cleaner wasn't doing much good.

I'm going to try the $10 seal first then get a sleeve if it still leaks. Thanks for the boiling water tip. I'll sure do that.

Tim