• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reinforcing Rear Leaf Spring Mounts

Swerve

Hello,

Does anybody have any photos or insight as to a way to strengthen / reinforce the rear leaf spring and shackle mounts? Does anyone make a kit or heavy duty replacements? I can fab something myself but I would like some ideas...

Thanks!

Swerve

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

Wh has beefed up shackles and stuff but not sure about the actual frame mount.

Thanks...

I just bought new leaf springs and the heavy duty shackles from Wild Horses...that is what has me thinking about this before I assemble...

eBronc2

Contributor
I fabbed up some reinforcing brackets out of 1/8" thick plate for both the front and rear leaf spring brackets on my '70. I was already working on the frame, removed the front shock mounts, original radius arm mounts, and rear shock mounts, and I wanted to strengthen the leaf spring brackets because the heavier full width Dana 60 that's going in would put more stress on them.

I made them out of posterboard first to get the right shape, then cut and ground them and tack welded them before finish welding them.

DSCF1513_zpsvumzzioi.jpg

DSCF1518_zpszlrrty2m.jpg

Just dropped the frame off for sandblasting and powdercoating yesterday.

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

Thank you! Exactly the kind of input I was looking for...

Any ideas to reinforce the outer sides?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I fabbed up some reinforcing brackets out of 1/8" thick plate for both the front and rear leaf spring brackets on my '70. I was already working on the frame, removed the front shock mounts, original radius arm mounts, and rear shock mounts, and I wanted to strengthen the leaf spring brackets because the heavier full width Dana 60 that's going in would put more stress on them.

I made them out of posterboard first to get the right shape, then cut and ground them and tack welded them before finish welding them.

Just dropped the frame off for sandblasting and powdercoating yesterday.

The original CAD

Cardboard Aided Design.

Those look good, I'll probably do the same.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thank you! Exactly the kind of input I was looking for...

Any ideas to reinforce the outer sides?

You could probably box the C or U shaped sections.

That's what I'm looking at doing, when I get to that point in the build.