• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reinstalling Doors

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Looks for tips and trick to reinstall my doors. I wish I would have never taken them off now, I know it's going to be a very long and drawn out process. I remember when I took them off I thought I had hit the lottery with all the washers falling out behind the hinges. I know I'll never get them to line up correctly, they weren't great before I took them off.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Looks for tips and trick to reinstall my doors. I wish I would have never taken them off now, I know it's going to be a very long and drawn out process. I remember when I took them off I thought I had hit the lottery with all the washers falling out behind the hinges. I know I'll never get them to line up correctly, they weren't great before I took them off.
Are you at least looking to add at least removable hinges this time? It may reduce or eliminate this frustration in the future.

Look up videos from Duff. I know Monster Mike and Nash have done a few videos.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Been there, done that. If you don't have them, i would go ahead and order the door shims before you get started. I did it solo. I used a floor jack with a 2 x 10 on top to help. Much easier if you can attach the wood to the jack so it doesn't teeter / fall off. Make sure your door side hinges are aligned so that when you start aligning the doors they don't damage the door area under the hinges. Been there, done that as well.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Oh, and make sure you dont strip the bolts using a high powered driver. Been there, done that as well.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I used an engine hoist with a strap to hold my doors when I removed/reinstalled them by myself.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check out North East classic Ford parts and get the shims. They are a game changer. I also recommend going with lift off hinges if you ever plan to do this again.

JSBX

Contributor
I used an engine hoist with a strap to hold my doors when I removed/reinstalled them by myself.

This works great for removing and installing doors. I have a small engine hoist [3/4 ton] that is one of the best tools in my shop. I am 70 years old and after 2 back surgeries it is almost a necessity. As others stated get the shims they are a lot easier to use then washers. A small impact gun, makes it a lot easier also, just be careful to not over tighten.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Are you at least looking to add at least removable hinges this time? It may reduce or eliminate this frustration in the future.

Look up videos from Duff. I know Monster Mike and Nash have done a few videos.

Is one set better than the other? I see them priced from $130.00 to $300.00.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Is one set better than the other? I see them priced from $130.00 to $300.00.

So in my opinion I think there are two brands but I would have to ask the vendors for sure. Some thing that I know that drive the costs are with removable straps, with hardware and the type of coating as well as the pin size

Most stainless or silver ones are made from Scott Drake (yes I have seen the prices vary for some reason). I currently(this will change) think that North East Classics has them for the best price.

Duff is the only one that I am aware of that offers the 5/8” pin and if memory serves me is slightly more and comes in black only.

Hope this helps clear things up a little.

Jason

Scotty

I quickly tired of the hinge mount plate shifting away while I was trying to hold the door, line-up the hinge, and insert the bolts (I didn't use lift-off hinges).

I cut a few approx. 1" pieces of 5/16-18 threaded rod and inserted them into the bolt holes. This kept the hinge mount plate from moving. I used matching nuts to temporarily hold the hinge in place while swapping the rod pieces out for bolts. This is a way to ease the addition of washers if they're needed. Notching the rod pieces for a screwdriver might have helped.

Attachments

• 20211204_183702.jpg
    20211204_183702.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I quickly tired of the hinge mount plate shifting away while I was trying to hold the door, line-up the hinge, and insert the bolts (I didn't use lift-off hinges).

I cut a few approx. 1" pieces of 5/16-18 threaded rod and inserted them into the bolt holes. This kept the hinge mount plate from moving. I used matching nuts to temporarily hold the hinge in place while swapping the rod pieces out for bolts. This is a way to ease the addition of washers if they're needed. Notching the rod pieces for a screwdriver might have helped.
Great idea, I'll be doing that as well. Thanks

Jakedog

I need to reinstall my doors so that I can take it to the body shop. I aligned the doors a couple of years ago using ratchet straps slung over the rafters in the garage. The straps helped a lot.

Let us know how the install goes.