• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reinstalling rear axles - is there a trick?

jkransbottom

Loc.
Stallings, NC
Work and family obligations have finally slowed enough to give me a chance to do some work on the Bronco. I'm trying to reinstall the rear axles after having new bearings installed and I can't get either side to go in all the way. I've been slightly removing and turning the axles a little at a time to try and find the right spot to get the splines to mesh and I can't seem to find it on either side. The drive shaft is still disconnected from when I removed the third member to drain the gear oil. Would it be better to have the driveshaft attached and in park so the gears won't turn? Any other ideas or tricks? TIA.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
A set of axles has a long one and a short one. Are you sure you are trying to put the correct axle in the correct side of the housing? Typically when I have installed axles (at least six times now) they will go in until they hit the diff. As I rotate and press in they slide right into the splines once they are lined up.

Another thought, are you trying to install 28 spline axles into a 31 spline differential or vice versa?

OP
OP
jkransbottom

jkransbottom

Loc.
Stallings, NC
I'm not putting in different axles, just reinstalling what I took apart so it's not the spline count. I'm (almost) positive I have the axles on the correct sides based on their lengths. I have the longer axle on the passenger side and the shorter on the driver side. The bearings are correct. I compared the old ones to the new when I bought them and the first 1/8th or 1/4 of the bearing on each side will go into the housing. I think I'll try reattaching the drive shaft to hold the diff still while inserting the axles. Should I put a little grease on the splines maybe?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you have a limited slip differential, it has two sets of splines to go through for each axle. These may not be lined up. Try putting both axles in and having someone turn the opposite axle back and forth a bit while you push yours in.

nutter3

blubuckaroo nailed this one. I had the exact same problem with my LS a couple years ago. you do need to have the driveline in to hold the pinion still.

OP
OP
jkransbottom

jkransbottom

Loc.
Stallings, NC
Ok, after a 9 month hiatus (don't ask :( ) I'm finally back to work on my bronco and still trying to get the rear axles reassembled :-[ . I reconnected the drive shaft and have tried the suggestions of having another person turn the passenger side axle back and forth while I work with the driver side axle, but nothing is working.

I was able to get the passenger side in far enough to start the four retaining nuts but I didn't want to tighten them down too much for fear of bending the mounting plate or damaging the axle or diff splines if they aren't lined up correctly. With it in Park and the passenger axle inserted as far as I can get it to go, I can still turn it with a moderate amount of force (the "slip" of the Limited Slip differential I assume), or with it in Neutral or in Drive I can turn the drive shaft by turning the axle.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, tips or tricks? Which side should I concentrate on first? Should I put some gear oil on the axle splines? Do I want it in Park or in Neutral while trying to reinstall or does it matter? I've also tried the rubber mallet suggestion but again I'm a little worried about damaging the splines if they aren't meshing correctly.

noreasteb

Loc.
Narragansett
I just reinstalled my axles with new bearings last night. Before re-installing, I cleaned the surface where the outer race sets (just infront of the seal) really well. Since the rear end was up on sawhorses, the chuck was free to spin. I could feel the splines line up as I pushed the axle in and then finished the setting with a hammer and some moderate taps. the other side went in without any force.
If you are having this much trouble I would remove the 3rd member and have a close look at what is going on.
Good luck.
Seth

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Force should not be necessary.
I would not try anything other than a rubber mallet.

I agree, pull the 3rd member and inspect. It's not difficult.

OP
OP
jkransbottom

jkransbottom

Loc.
Stallings, NC
Thank you for the replies. I had the whole third member out when I drained the old gear oil and tapped the housing for the drain plug, so I can take it off again but I'd rather not unless absolutely necesssary.

Can someone please give me a more detailed explanation of how to line up the separate sets of splines in a third member with a Limited Slip differential?

Thanks everybody.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It may be too far to see but I'd get a small maglight adjusted to a point beam and look down the axle tube to see if the splines are lined up in the diff for the diff and limited slip. If you can't see anything wrong I'd pull the third member and try sticking the axles in with the third member on the bench.

OP
OP
jkransbottom

jkransbottom

Loc.
Stallings, NC
I think I just had one of those a-ha moments! Is it possible that the new bearings and retaining collars were pressed on too far?? The axles feel like they're engaging the differential all the way when I insert them but the bearing is still halfway out of the housing on each axle. How can I tell if they're on too far? Can anyone give me a measurement if you have your axles out currently and a standard setup?

broncorick

I don't think you can press on too far as they stop. I put my own bearing on by heating on a hot plate just slightly and the expanded and dropped right on. Then the axles went right back in. Wish you were closer, would come over and help-Rick

OP
OP
jkransbottom

jkransbottom

Loc.
Stallings, NC
Here are a couple pics if that'll help anybody. The longer axle on the right has a definite bulge just in front of the retaining collar. The shorter one doesn't have the same protrusion.

Attachments

• Axles_full 06-19-09.jpg
    Axles_full 06-19-09.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 28
  • axle_bearings 06-19-09.jpg
    axle_bearings 06-19-09.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
jkransbottom

jkransbottom

Loc.
Stallings, NC
Well, thanks everybody for your advice and suggestions. A guy from the Carolina Broncos 4X4 Club offered to come over and take a look. Within about 15 minutes he had figured out that the culprit was this axle housing flange gasket. The opening was just millimeters too small to allow the bearing to fit through. Once we removed them the axles slid right in just like everyone here had described. (Does anybody know the purpose of this metal gasket?)

So, my hats off to CB 4X4 member, Badass (Eric from Pageland SC). I don't know if he frequents this forum but if anyone here knows him let me know his user name so I can thank him again here. He drove 45 minutes just to lend a hand and I'm amazed by his generosity.

I should finally be able to get my rig back on the road this weekend. At least for a little while before I start replacing floor pans. ;D

JR

Attachments

• axle housing gasket.jpg
    axle housing gasket.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 9