• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reliable aftermarket fuel guage & sender

EB70

Contributor
I am prepping to build a larger rear tank for my Bronco. Nothing special, just a home-done 23 gallon style.

Because I am quite enamored with my Bronco, and will likely keep it for a long time I want to fix things correctly.

For the guage I am going Autometer like usual. Willing to listen to other options.

My problem is the sender. I'd really like something other than the swinging arm style. I've looked at some of the marine senders on Ebay and they look decent. There are some on summit.

What types of senders that are aftermarket have you used and what type of reliability and quality have you experienced?

I really want accuracy and for it to be reliable.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As for reliability, I've never heard of any real trouble with any of them there. Maybe there are some that don't like today's modern mixes of gas, but not sure about that.
I've always liked the vertical tube type (that the ones you're looking at?) but have never personally used one.

Either the swingarm or float-tube types are still in use in newer vehicles. I've seen both just within the GM lineup. Not sure if any of the factories have settled on the next big thing yet.

Good luck. Interested to hear what others have to say.
Obviously, you can go with whatever ohm range sender your gauge needs. But if you can choose an Autometer gauge in the series you like that still uses the standard Ford range, you can still use the factory sending units if you have a stock tank still.
Once you build your own though, obviously it's up to you. If it's easier to find one ohm range than another in the sending units you like, then you can pick the gauges that match and maybe come up with a better solution more easily.

Hope so.

Paul

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Your primary consideration might be to pick your preferred fuel gauge and then see what senders are available in the correct resistance range - that could narrow your choices for a sender some.
The traditional swing arm units are pretty hard to beat as far as durability and accuracy, especially if you can get a unit with a ceramic resistor card as opposed to the older style wire wound style card.
The tube type style units are good but can be on the fragile side (if you can find one to match your gauge ohms). If you are developing a custom tank, you'll want the flexibility to be able to adjust your sender length (especially for empty), so the swing arm style units are probably more likely to have the custom cut to length / adjustability built in as an option.

Good luck,

DJs74

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
OK. I don't want to out trick myself. I've used various Autometer senders etc. before. I know the pattern on the top is supposed to be somewhat universal. I suppose if it does not work I can try something else.

I actually bought a full set of gauges for a now defunct project so I already own a sender and gauge set.

Maybe I asked the wrong question. What is the best, most reliable aftermarket sender and gauge combo you have used other than stock?

I know many of you have spent way more money and time than I have on these things, what did you use?

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Look at Speedhut gauges. I've used them in two different builds. Fuel gauges are programmable to whatever sender ohm range you choose. Not tied to any specific sender.....

pbwcr

Sender
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-level-...t-to-length-10-16-0-5-5V-output-/261453858570
This type is in common use for off road racers. I bet there are competing brands?
Nice part is there is no need to bend the float wire to get accurate readings.

If that is to new to you then get buy a smart gauge and keep your stock sender. However you still have to verify the float is adjusted to top and bottom reading. The gauges are digital or analog and the way they work is you start with an empty tank then add several gallons at a time and use the button on the gauge to save the reading in the gauge memory. I have used three different brands and they work as advertised. My favorite is Speedhut followed by Autometer. The digital one which is long gone gave me readouts is gallons or liters or percent full and and was very accurate. I dumped it because I wanted matching gauges. Find the digital ones with a Google search.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
Thank you to you both! I am actually driving my Bronco now fairly regularly. With 12 gallons or so you don't get far as you know. I do have a working side tank of course.

I think I'll get the ebay set-up mentioned. It matches my current guage set-cheaper under dash set-up- and I can go from there.

I bought a "barn/shed find' two years ago. I work on it when I can, and drive it when I can. It is getting better and more functional a little at a time.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Sorry, I thought you had already committed and purchased the fuel gauge and was looking for something to match up to it.
I spent 15 years designing fuel sending / fuel level sensors / gauges at VDO - so I can't go against them - very reliable and accurate (or at least they were from the mid 80's until early 2000's) but AutoMeter is also hard to beat as well as Stewart-Warner
But regardless of the brand, I would try to stick with the swing arm style level sensor unit though, especially for adjustability for various fuel tank configurations.

DJs74

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love VDO since the sixties. Just wish they would have put more effort (ie more gauges!) into their Night Design (now Vision?) gauges. Like they did with the Cockpit line.
I just wanted something with better lighting, like the newer OE stuff.

Like a second class citizen in the minds of the execs maybe, it was always cleverly hidden at the back of the catalog.
Finally gave up and started looking elsewhere.

Paul

ChrisC74

Thank you to you both! I am actually driving my Bronco now fairly regularly. With 12 gallons or so you don't get far as you know. I do have a working side tank of course.

I think I'll get the ebay set-up mentioned. It matches my current guage set-cheaper under dash set-up- and I can go from there.

I bought a "barn/shed find' two years ago. I work on it when I can, and drive it when I can. It is getting better and more functional a little at a time.
Let us know how they work please. I think there are at least a few of us who would like a better working fuel gauge

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Love VDO since the sixties. Just wish they would have put more effort (ie more gauges!) into their Night Design (now Vision?) gauges. Like they did with the Cockpit line.
I just wanted something with better lighting, like the newer OE stuff.

Like a second class citizen in the minds of the execs maybe, it was always cleverly hidden at the back of the catalog.
Finally gave up and started looking elsewhere.

Paul

Hey Paul,

Yeah, I like VDO pretty well too - Under their banner, I got married ('88) and brought two children into the world ('93 & '00). I left VDO in 2001 and not too much longer after that, they closed the doors at Winchester VA operations and moved sales, marketing and engineering operations to Allentown PA.
Yes, I know the Vision line well - it was a big project with a lot consulting with our German colleagues on the lighting aspect. We basically used the same lighting and light conductor principle as we were doing in the OEM instrument clusters. I also had the privilege to be the lead engineer on the 2 5/8" Pro Cockpit series gauges and the swing arm adjustable aftermarket fuel sender as well as Program Manager on fuel systems for Bombardier, Polaris and Yamaha (watercraft and ATVs) and John Deere. It was a great experience, got to travel to Germany some and even learned some things from Japan (when we were VDO-Yazaki for a short spell).

I was at VDO from 1986 - 2001

Thanks for the flashback!

DJs74

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Since you're building a custom tank go with a site tube like at an Atlas 2 t-case. You'd have to stop, get out, and look but it couldn't get anymore accurate.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
I don't think I want a site tube on this rig, but I agree it would be accurate. My work is exceedingly busy for the next month or so. Shooting to have the tank in by Thanksgiving. I should know more then.